Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is everyones point of veiw on breasting game birds? I personally think that taking only the breast and wasting the rest is, well, wasteful. Is ther any situations wher breasting is the better option?

·
Registered
599 Posts
On my upland game I eat the leg and breast. On waterfowl, I eat just the breast. By the time you get the meat off the legs of a duck it really isnt worth it. I like to use some feathers from the birds for flies but thats really about it for me.

·
Banned
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I mainly hunt grouse and chuckers and eat more than just the breast. I havent done the waterfoul thing yet but i did get a stamp. I just dont know where to go.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
when I first started bird hunting the whole bird was saved nowadays it is only the breast, I think most of it, is the time. cleaning the birds suck especially ducks i use to pluck them and now. not...but i do not duck hunt anymore either so no great loss on my part.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Breasts are nice...like the thighs too -()/>- -()/>- -()/- -()/-

·
Registered
897 Posts
I particularly like the drum sticks from doves :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: !

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
campfire said:
I particularly like the drum sticks from doves :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: !
hot wings are good also!

·
Registered
897 Posts
Kidding aside, it really depends on the bird. My daughter got a turkey last spring ( the first wild turkey I had tried) and I was surprised how good the whole bird tasted. On the other hand what else ( besides the breast) is there to eat on a dove? In between you make your inividual choice. I take the breasts and thighs of pheasants, blue grouse and sage grouse. The drumsticks and backs just do not have enough meat and are way too stringy to cook particularly on pheasants. And you can take the breasts and thighs without even gutting the birds. Ruff grouse, chuckar, huns, and quail..... well the thighs really don't offer enough meat to make the effort worth the trouble. I usually just breast them out. I will add that ruff grouse breast makes a very tasty "grouse cacciatori" at elk camp.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Cabelas sells a motorized plucker for around $30 to solve the plucking woes. I've never used one, but I did ask Santa for one this year. Guess we'll find out if he heard me on Tues.!
There's also the Deluxe model that runs about $100. Woops- just drooled on my keyboard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts