Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody I am in the market for a new set of waders I have hunted almost exclusively with neoprene waders, and I'm interested in trying a pair of breathables. I have a buddy that swears by breathables, but I'm not 100% convinced. So what type of waders do you use and why did you pick that type? I will probably go with cabelas brand when I do get them since I will get a small discount on them. Thanks for your input!!!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Ive gotten away from neoprenes over the years. I use breathables until it is in the single digits, and even then I mostly use breathables. The down side, is that even though I've tried a few different brands, they only last me about a season and a half on average.
R

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I do a LOT of walking when I hunt waterfowl, and if you have to pick one, I'd say breathable every time. They are far more comfortable to walk in overall, and much cooler in the early part of the season.

They work fine for me in the late season as well. If you dress in layers, they will keep you warm on the coldest of days. That being said, in my ideal world I would have a pair of breathables for early- to mid-season hunting and some nice neoprene waders for cold weather. Both have their pros and cons.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
breathables are they only way to go. I have ran the the cableas brand for the last few years.Yes they might not last as long depending on how you hunt. You will be happy with them. late season dress a little warmer and you will be fine.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
My dad gave me a pair of nice premium neoprene waders 35 years ago... wore them forever, even took them to alaska a few times. I gave them to my boy who has now been wearing them for 4 years and they are still going strong. Never had a leak. 35 years of use and still in great shape. Thats my vote.

-DallanC

·
Registered
6,325 Posts
Or you can have both at the same time.;) These are more neoprene, but the way I blow through breathables these may be a good option. I am not a big fan of neoprene because they are hot and I sweat in them any time of the year. They suck to walk in, and freeze solid on cold days when I get out of the water. My vote is for breathables.
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/gam...thable-boot-foot-waders?repChildCatid=1134362

·
Registered
469 Posts
I hunt on foot almost exclusively and I wear breathable. You just need to layer up a bit on cold days. The difference in ease of walking and moving around in breathable vs neoprene is insane. I don't think I'll every wear neoprene again. Unless maybe if I get a boat.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
breathables!! you will still sweat in breathables. I stay warm in breathables (I break ice in breathables) more movement in them. Your balls won't itch after a day in them. I wear both and I use my neoprene as a backup, I'm beginning to think that my breathables are more durable too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Tried a pair of breathable waist high waders for fishing and they worked so well, even fly fishing in January that I switched over to breathable chest waders for waterfowl and will never go back to neoprene.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll just let you know that Cabela's doesn't do lifetime warranties on their waders anymore.
I learned about that in my employee training, waders have a one year limited warranty, and you should keep your receipt to make warrantying easier.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Well that is just good customer service. That is what we strive for as Cabela's Outfitters.
I had a guy named Duke help me out with my return. I had a pair last 13 months. He made an exception and gave me a store credit for a new pair, and the leftover would go to the bank since I had all of the paperwork. When I returned with a new pair, a lady told me to not expect that again. So I told her not to expect me buying anything else again. I left out the nightmare of phone calls I made to return them. Duke saved the day and I could go hunting the next morning. The cheap Cabela's waders lasted only up until the last day of the hunt.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I've just come to expect that breathable waders will need to be replaced every year and a half. I'm sure that some folks get longer use out of them, but mine wear out fast. I still buy Cabelas Dri-Plus because I like them, but I go through them fast.
R

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I still buy the Dry Plus waders also. When I purchase them I also buy 4 tubes of Aqua seal because I know I will need it.

·
Registered
6,325 Posts
Here is what I do when I buy Dry Plus breathable waders. I do this right after I pull them out of the box. I got 5 seasons out of this pair. A tube of polyurethane and a rubber glove is all you need. I was having problems with the inseam wearing holes where the loose fabric rubbed together. (my buddies have all had the same problem) I'm sure that shoe goo and other things work too, but this has worked for me. I also use rubber cement and tire patches to fix holes in my boots. I can't afford to run out and buy a new pair of waders every time I get a leak. Yes they look like hell, but they function and I don't get wet. If you don't get holes in your waders you ain't doing it right.;-)

·
Registered
561 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I just tossed out a set of waders last month, and I should have taken a picture of them. I had both feet covered in truck tire patches, the inseams covered in Aqua-seal, and a patch in the leg. Ha! Those things lasted a full two seasons...I will miss them!
R

1 - 20 of 36 Posts