Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got buck fever tonight as I shot at a prehistoric size 3pt. My whole body started to shake, needless to say I missed the routine 65 yard shot. Anybody have any advice for buck fever?

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Haha "prehistoric size 3 point". I love that. You know, once buck fever takes hold its hard to recover. Ill second critter getting close is a good option. If your sneaking in you give yourself more time to think clearly perhaps. Ive had some luck just looking away for a few seconds and taking a few deep breaths then re engage with the buck. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Been there done that. At least you got a shot, all I did was eject all my shells-O,-
Oops bow hunting sorry

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
With a rifle I usually take a picture of the animal first, before I shoot, focuses me, and calms me right down. With a bow it is of course very different, and I've yet to connected with a big game animal with my bow. But of the couple of opportunities I have had, and the small game I have taken, I would say that thinking too much is a big part of it. Pick a point, draw, release......nothing else. Or on the other end of the spectrum, long stalks seem to help, because you work a lot of it out before the time comes to draw. I hunt with a recurve, so 65 yards would not be very routine for me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Experience will calm it down a bit as you get more and more opportunities but the day that it totally goes away, give it up because something is wrong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts