Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the honor of breaking bread last night with a small group of old timers - lords of the mountain who were hunting when I was still in diapers, (and I'm not exactly a youngster). I thoroughly enjoyed their stories of hunts long past and I was smart enough to keep my mouth shut and listen and learn. But a strange comment was made, "You boys remember old Lamar? He died of buck fever back in '68?"

Now I thought I knew what buck fever was and I've experienced it many times, but I can't imagine it being deadly. So I looked it up this morning and Wordspy offered the following definition: buck fever (BUK fee.vur) n. A phenomenon that causes heart attacks in out-of-shape hunters who get overly excited from sighting or shooting deer, or overexert themselves dragging a killed deer out of the woods. :shock:

Maybe it's because I'm a Utah boy and we use the language a bit differently here, but that isn't the term I've known. Here's a definition from Finn's Utahnish Dictionary: buck fever (BUK fee.vur) [aka buck eggo] n. 1. A phenomenon that causes uncontrollable shaking, shortness of breath, loss of coordination, the urgent need to urinate and mild nausea as direct results of an adrenalin spike. 2. A sudden and unannounced loss of brain function that creates a convenient excuse for poor marksmanship or other comical stupid hunter tricks such as falling down, dry firing a weapon, scoping yourself in the eye, severe string slap, dropping your weapon, etc.

I must adamantly defend my definition and I intend to educate the good folks at Wordspy because otherwise, I have a lot of explaining to do. What about you?

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
I was getting ready for the deerhunt in 2000, walking 2-3 miles a day and climbing the stairs during my lunch break. I got the "fever " about a week before the hunt. Good thing it didn't happen during the hunt or I would'nt be typing this out right now. I have had the "other" buck fever once in my life where I missed the biggest buck I ever saw at 70 yds. :oops: :lol:

·
Registered
253 Posts
I would say that both definitions are correct.
Having experienced the non-fatal Buckfever a number of times myself and also had an uncle, years ago, die of of a heart attack, dropped dead 5 seconds after he shot a nice 4point buck. Those of us hunting with him attributed the Heart-attack to buck fever, the autopsy indicated the was heart under exertion, but he had been sitting watching his favorite saddle for over an hour. So yea, Buckfever was fatal in his case.

If I die of a heart attack I want it be of Buckfever, or when i'm with a,,,, :shock:

Can't think of a better way to go.. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
135 Posts
So.... I started reading this wrong and had to re-evaluate the story. :oops:

This is how I read it first:

"I had the horror of breaking bread last night with a small group of old timers..."

GEEZ Finn!!

j/k... back to the point.
I got bull fever once and have a sweet scar in between my eyes because of it. _(O)_

·
Registered
244 Posts
Finn: I believe that in order to truly appreticate hunting you must sufer from buck fever B witch is not malignant in nature. rather it is benign in nature, both to the animal and you survive with small momentos *(scars and what not). This is the rush what is big game hunting if you honestly say you have never experienced this rush, you are really missing out. Theses gents you had the "horror" HaHA,(that was good)of breaking bread with, all at some point were stricken with buck fever B. If they say nay, i feel sorry for them, over time you learn to control the series B of the condition, but if you ever loose it, Stop hunting. It no longer holds anything for you. There have been numerous cases of the A strain were hiking, and rigorus physical activity have caused overload, and the sight of the animal with trying to get a sight up, has caused serious blood flow issues. Not to make light of the situation that was in 1968 the year i was born, but can you think of a better way to die than buck fever A.??! :D 8) good post fin worth the read!

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Finn,

That was an awesome thought out post with info, humor and insight. It reminded me of some of the "Muley Prince" posts that he would make.

I loved hearing from the good ole boys and do not want to fall into the same catagory that you avoided so niceley and I'll just take it in and say nothing as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts