Utah Wildlife Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10,549 Posts
A 72 hour kit... usually the 5 gal bucket... eventually reaches a point in weight, bulk and items that it really moves beyond its purpose of a quick grab item in an emergency. Do you plan on 1 bucket per family? 1 bucket per person? How much can your youngest child carry?

All of the things mentioned in this thread are great ideas... but again it comes back to what are you planning to use this kit for. 72 hours of survival at home with no services? 72 hours in the wilderness while the city burns to the ground? Or just a throw it in the truck on a camping trip "just in case" something unexpected happens?

Prepping is interesting to me (as people have noted lol), and its overall a GREAT idea... but there's a point of diminishing returns based on the expected usage of some of these kits.

-DallanC

·
Administrator
8,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Oh yeah, pemmican. If you can make it or find some to buy. Lightweight and way high in energy.
This was a rabbit hole I went down a few weeks ago.

I’ve made it a few times but I’m not confident in my long term storage process (yet). But this stuff is pretty epic.

Side note: our ancestors sure knew a thing or two about foods that would keep you going. Hard tac anyone?

21 - 24 of 24 Posts