Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody here have any experience building a rifle? I am looking to keep it under $1000. Going for best value here.

Any parts companies I should avoid?

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just finished a build around june, did it for under 500$ here's a couple sites I picked stuff up at. aimsurplus.com ar15depot.com as for a lower parts kit, you can go with just about any of them if you're looking for a run of the mill trigger group, buffer and butt stock.

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
You can spend as much or as little as you want, only you can define what "best value" is.

I built a cheap "plinker" to burn cheap ammo in, and started with one of these for $109

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/New_Frontier_Armory_LW_15_Complete_Poly_Lower_p/nfa-lw15blk.htm

Thats a 100% complete ready to fire lower kit. Its composite material with kevlar, but I've over 1000 rounds through mine now and with the lifetime warranty, unless you are really roughhousing with the gun, its going to last a long time. Look up youtube videos on their stress testing, pretty impressive.

From there I just pinned a complete upper from Palmetto on it and was off and shooting for $450. Palmetto has some good deals on stuff, complete kits etc etc: http://palmettostatearmory.com/

I have two AR's, the plinker I built and a Stag M6L. The stag was $800 and holds .4" groups all day long. I only shoot custom reloads through that... cheap crap runs through the plinker.

-DallanC

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
This will be number 9. If I had a drop of ambition today it would be going together right now.
AR Parts.JPG
Parts are from:
Palmetto
Rock River
Midway
Cabelas
And a healthy dose of ebay (be careful of Chinese stuff on there, had to send back a carry handle)
I think I'm a little over $550, all US made parts and I had to have the Rock River National Match trigger.
Check out that dissipator upper. ;-)
Watch all of the dealer's ads. I got the lower for $37 ($9 freight) PSA upper was $219, BCG was $79. Cardinal forge stamped carry handle $49.51 (ebay). RR had the National Match LPK on sale for $99.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I've built 4 of these now and have really grown fond of parts from PSA (Palmetto State Armory). Quality and fitment from them has always been top notch. I think I can build one using their parts for around $750 or so not counting optics or any grip upgrades, etc.

This one is using a composite lower (NFA), Black Hole Weaponry 18" barrel, Diamondhead hand guard, PSA lower parts kit, Spikes tactical BCG and I think an AiM surplus upper receiver.

This one is made of a Bushmaster Upper, NFA Aluminum lower, 16" barrel, and an upgraded trigger group, optics, etc.

If you need any help with assembly or general questions please feel free to IM me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts