Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thinking out loud here.....curious what everyone else does?

My daughter has a Zion deer tag, and along with that comes a coupon to purchase non-lead ammo. We had this a few years ago as well, and I picked up some Barnes Vor-Tx LR 129gr .270 cartridges. I really liked them. I'd love to get some more.....

.....but the Sportsman's Warehouse site has shown them as "out of stock" for the last two months. Does anyone know if you can actually get these cartridges??

Muzzleloader starts up real quick too. I went out to shoot our muzzy guns on Saturday. I took 6 six (4 with the Knight, 2 with the Winchester). All shots were with my Federal Premium BORLock .50 cal 270gr bullets. I really like these bullets, and so do my rifles. I still have an unopened 15 pack of these bullets -- but I'd like to get some more. I've looked at a few places online (Sportsman's, Cabelas, Scheels, Bass Pro) and, once again, everything is "out of stock". I'm actually wondering if Federal stopped making this -- which would make me sad.

So, I'm just wondering -- how do all of you buy the bullets that you want? When you do find what you want, how confident are you that they'll still be produced by the next year?

(It's no different with archery and broadheads. You buy a pack of tips, and you can never find the same make/model ever again, forcing you to change everything every couple years....)

(i've never had a problem finding wooly buggers.)

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have 2 packs of the federal premium bor lock 270 gr muzzleloader bullets I'd be willing to sell. PM me if interested. I'm pretty sure I found them at Walmart a couple months back.

As far as finding "stuff" the best thing I have found is to keep checking my local sources a couple times a week and find out when there "truck" comes in.

·
Administrator
10,506 Posts
For finding stuff you just need to keep hammering the online catalogs. Quite a few things have been coming into stock but they usually don't last very long.

I learned a few years ago to try and have at least a 2-3 year supply of what I shoot. This year I got caught a little short but I have enough for the muzzle loader hunt and a few other hunts including my trip to Africa.

·
Registered
10,573 Posts
So, I'm just wondering -- how do all of you buy the bullets that you want? When you do find what you want, how confident are you that they'll still be produced by the next year?
You pay attention to those of us reporting on the shortages, and how people are going to be mighty disappointed come hunting season with nothing available. Some of us have been doing this since the first of the year. Others have posted looking for XXX or YYY items, I've helped several people find things they were looking for.

I've been spending ALOT of time hunting down things I need since last December, to prep for THIS season. I'm looking now towards next year, I am fully planning on the shortage to last 2 more year minimum. I think I'm ok... but need a few hundred more 209 primers for the long haul.

GunBroker has been the best source of hard to find items, sure prices are high but so what, people complain a box of shells is $20 more than they used to be, but think nothing of putting $75-100 worth of fuel in the truck to drive around.

I've seen lots of Borlock's for sale over the spring/summer on GB every once in a while, but with the season here now, others figured out this is the place to shop and pickings are slim.

Frankly, shouldn't have waited to start seriously digging around for them. I'll still keep an eye out for some Borlocks though for you.

PS: Most major MFGs are still trying to full fill the big government ammo contract, they are behind schedule and are still 2,000,000,000 rounds short. Nothing major is going to change until they get those remain 2 billion rounds created.

-DallanC

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
PBH, Barnes stuff has been REALLY hard to find except if you shoot .308 or .243. I seem to see those available here and there.

I had a good run where I could find 7mm TTSX in 140 gr for a short stretch, and I stocked up. I was hoping to find the 150 gr, but those have been nonexistent. I hope my gun likes the 140 gr as much as it did the 150...we'll see here soon. If not, I will have a bunch of 7mm TTSX in 140 gr for sale.

I have not been able to find hardly anything in 338 win mag for a year now. It's not a gun I'm planning to hunt with any time soon, so I am not in a hurry, but I've started paying attention every single time I go to a store that sells ammo. I just go check it out, whereas I never used to do that. I know the handful of things I will be shooting going forward, and if someone has it, I buy a box or two. It has been pretty tough to find hunting ammo on the shelves now for almost 18 months, it didn't just start the beginning of this year.

The other option you have is to buy a 6mm Creedmore or 6.8 Western rifle. You will be able to buy as much ammo as you could ever want.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The walmart in layton has had the bor-loc's there was 2 or 3 left the other day. I bought one pack as back ups because i could not find tez's until this week.

I would be happy to sell them at cost plus shipping on your end or meet in layton.

Also.....smith and edwards had around ~8 (15 count for $22) barnes 290's TEZ's.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
.Dallan -- gunbroker doesn't do me any good with my DWR provided coupon. I guess that's part of my issue, that I should have included in my original post.

If the DWR want's hunters to use non-lead ammo, and they provide a coupon to purchase the ammo, and the coupon is only usable at certain retailers -- then the DWR should contract with retailers that can actually get the ammo. 🤷‍♂️

FWIW -- I said in my first post "I'd like to get some more". I didn't say that I'm out, or don't have enough for this year. I'd just like to get some more, but the local Sportsman's can't seem to keep ammo on their shelf.

I'll take a look at Walmart for the BORLocks.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
If the DWR want's hunters to use non-lead ammo, and they provide a coupon to purchase the ammo, and the coupon is only usable at certain retailers -- then the DWR should contract with retailers that can actually get the ammo. 🤷‍♂️
That coupon program is a relic from a time when you could walk into any sporting goods store and buy a wide variety of ammo in most common calibers. Those days are long gone right now. I guess they should just stop doing it if it's going to cause people such heartburn that they can't find the ammo to exchange the coupon.

·
Hunter/Friend
88 Posts
Barnes is great, and usually available at Cabela's. I never see it at smaller stores though. It was my favorite when I used to have a .308! Since switching to my Creedmoor I have been in love with Nosler. I am finding neither though as of late, I still have a box left over that I am planning on utilizing. I have found some light Hornady loads, but nothing under $60 for my caliber! I bought some Norma shooting sports ammo for the first time that has a similar weight that I plan on using to sight in this week in Bountiful. It's still just ugly out there, I even have family looking in Vegas and Idaho for me w/o any good results.

·
Registered
107 Posts
We shoot a .270 at times. The only retail stores in the State I've seen with 270 on the shelves were Gallensons and Walmart. Walmart had some Winchester powerpoint come through a few weeks ago. Gallensons had that and some other loads, as well. I don't think I've seen a box of 270 of any kind on any SW shelves anywhere in the State in the last year. As far as I can tell, that DNR certificate is all but useless for 270. I would use it to get some other caliber in lead-free and barter that for something you can use in the future. Online, 270 seems to be at the back of the pack for availability of quality hunting ammo. Right now, MidwayUSA and OpticsPlanet show nothing in stock

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
that's tough -- you can't get .270, let alone non-lead .270.

I'm not giving up that gun! I love my .270!

Maybe we'll get lucky and my daughter can win a rifle from the drawing being held for using non-lead ammo and end up with a rifle caliber that has non-lead ammo available for purchase? (I feel like I'm writing for Joseph Heller!)

FWIW -- gunbroker has 0 boxes of Barnes VOR-TX LR .270.
Maybe what I should do is auction off the boxes I have and make a buck, or two?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I was able to get my non lead from double tap in Cedar City.
I have shot a few through both of my 6.5's and seem to shoot very well. Only kicker i still had to pay about 20$ for each box. 40$ total ammo was 63each plus shipping.

·
Registered
Hunting, Fishing, Target Shooting, Hiking, Foraging, Shroom Hunting, Farming, Gardening, Building
85 Posts
I drive from SLC to Vernal to Pocatello to Provo to shop for ammo. I mostly don’t shop online because the internet lies about the shelf stock. Online gunbroker has my usual 139grain rifle ammo that’s $20 a box for $67 and I ain’t paying that ever. I always shop for ammo throughout the year in store even if I know they don’t have it because sometimes they might.
Walmart has a decent ML stock for sure, not huge, but what you need to feed a ML steadily.
Ive been thinking about getting a couple new rifles a .270 because I seen that on the shelf at Sportsman’s all year long, that and 300 Win Mag so I think I see a trend of what is buy able for the next few seasons as a back up even though my go to caliber is 7mm-08 for everything from coyotes to elk etc.
I have one online shop for getting my AR fed but I’m taking that web address to the grave. 😆

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
I drive from SLC to Vernal to Pocatello to Provo to shop for ammo. I mostly don’t shop online because the internet lies about the shelf stock. Online gunbroker has my usual 139grain rifle ammo that’s $20 a box for $67 and I ain’t paying that ever.
Have you ever added up the gas for that and added it to the $20/box to see what that ends up costing?

·
Registered
Hunting, Fishing, Target Shooting, Hiking, Foraging, Shroom Hunting, Farming, Gardening, Building
85 Posts
Have you ever added up the gas for that and added it to the $20/box to see what that ends up costing?
When I’m in the area I will always stop by a shop and look for ammo throughout the year. If I got an Idaho archery tag I will stop by stores so I kill two birds with one stone. I don’t online shop and drive to that store because the “in stock” and reality aren’t the same.
I remember back in the day when a box was $8 and that will never happen again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just thinking out loud here.....curious what everyone else does?

My daughter has a Zion deer tag, and along with that comes a coupon to purchase non-lead ammo. We had this a few years ago as well, and I picked up some Barnes Vor-Tx LR 129gr .270 cartridges. I really liked them. I'd love to get some more.....

.....but the Sportsman's Warehouse site has shown them as "out of stock" for the last two months. Does anyone know if you can actually get these cartridges??

Muzzleloader starts up real quick too. I went out to shoot our muzzy guns on Saturday. I took 6 six (4 with the Knight, 2 with the Winchester). All shots were with my Federal Premium BORLock .50 cal 270gr bullets. I really like these bullets, and so do my rifles. I still have an unopened 15 pack of these bullets -- but I'd like to get some more. I've looked at a few places online (Sportsman's, Cabelas, Scheels, Bass Pro) and, once again, everything is "out of stock". I'm actually wondering if Federal stopped making this -- which would make me sad.

(It's no different with archery and broadheads. You buy a pack of tips, and you can never find the same make/model ever again, forcing you to change everything every couple years....)

(i've never had a problem finding wooly buggers.)
The Zion unit is awesome, the complimentary bullets are always a nice perk. Until this year, I've never had a difficult time finding the non-lead rifle ammo. Traditionally I've always just gone to Sportsman's Warehouse and been able to redeem the coupon.

This year, I still have yet to see 270 on the shelf anywhere I go. I don't religiously look for ammunition every day, but always check when I go to a sporting good store. I have been pleasantly surprised to see some of the other more common calibers on the shelves lately.

Finding ammunition has become a hunt unto itself. It takes a little scouting to see where you can find what you're looking for, a little luck, and being in the right place at the right time.

·
Premium Member
3,959 Posts
that's tough -- you can't get .270, let alone non-lead .270.

I'm not giving up that gun! I love my .270!

Maybe we'll get lucky and my daughter can win a rifle from the drawing being held for using non-lead ammo and end up with a rifle caliber that has non-lead ammo available for purchase? (I feel like I'm writing for Joseph Heller!)

FWIW -- gunbroker has 0 boxes of Barnes VOR-TX LR .270.
Maybe what I should do is auction off the boxes I have and make a buck, or two?
Have you checked with Mike at Double Tap? (435) 383-3208 I don't know if they honor the DWR coupon or if they do non lead. Might be worth a phone call

Reactions: DIRTYS6X6

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Have you checked with Mike at Double Tap? (435) 383-3208 I don't know if they honor the DWR coupon or if they do non lead. Might be worth a phone call
They do. But, correct me if I'm wrong, Double Tap doesn't sell Barne's bullets...

The key with this whole discussion is: don't get set on using 1 particular cartridge for your rifle.

Reactions: bowgy
1 - 20 of 40 Posts