Utah Wildlife Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yes double tap does accept the coupon. Bad part is they were 63 ea. I got mine and cost me around 40$ that was bullets and shipping

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
It's great to reload. Even the components are getting hard to find on the store shelves. I had purchased a good stockpile of bullets for all the calibers I use prior to COVED. I still have a place I get components from, but shipping can be brutal when you order $1000 or more of product. But, I have it and it isn't going anywhere.

·
Premium Member
3,954 Posts
They do. But, correct me if I'm wrong, Double Tap doesn't sell Barne's bullets...

The key with this whole discussion is: don't get set on using 1 particular cartridge for your rifle.
Ooops! I got caught up in steel ammo availability.

Reactions: PBH

·
Premium Member
3,954 Posts
Yes double tap does accept the coupon. Bad part is they were 63 ea. I got mine and cost me around 40$ that was bullets and shipping
Yep, double tap is not cheap but again I was just thinking availability.

Reactions: PBH

·
Senior Goof
3,693 Posts
I have lots of 270 - I really could go for some darn 7MM! Anyone who runs into 160gr-168gr 7mm holler!

As for that Barnes - I have really been impressed with that ammo as well. Wish I had loaded up in the past on all my "expensive" "hunting" rounds. Hindsight sucks.

·
Premium Member
3,954 Posts
I have lots of 270 - I really could go for some darn 7MM! Anyone who runs into 160gr-168gr 7mm holler!

As for that Barnes - I have really been impressed with that ammo as well. Wish I had loaded up in the past on all my "expensive" "hunting" rounds. Hindsight sucks.
Sorry, close, I just checked my old stock and I have some 6.5 mm and quite a few 8 mm

Reactions: RandomElk16

·
Registered
1,352 Posts

Are you looking for loaded ammo or bullets to reload?

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
It's been 3 months. I've visited Sportsman's in both Cedar and St. George quite a bit in those 3 months. I've never seen a box of .270 or 7mm in non-lead. In fact, I can't even see a spot on the shelf reserved for those calibers. I'm thinking that nobody makes .270 or 7mm any more....

·
Registered
10,549 Posts
LOL... the old pre-pandemic idea was that if you owned a good ole 270 or 30-06 you'd always have ammo around because they are so common. If you had an obscure caliber you'd be screwed. Reality is proven to be quite the opposite. You cannot find the common ammo because everyone needs it. Its the odds and ends that remain on the shelf (350 Legend anyone? LOL).

I've seen and passed on a few boxes of non-lead bullets for reloading here and there (Gunnies).

But, lots of MFGs are making "seasonal runs" I've found. It takes alot of retooling to swap from say producing Accubonds to Ballistic Tips... so they tool up, and produce a ton, then retool and move to the next style. Atm, Nosler finished making a ton of Ballistic Tip ammo... its showing up all over, and oddly... its cheap! Its cheaper to reload and shoot ballistic tips now than say the old sierra gamekings (my old goto plinker). I've bought 350 BTs over the past few weeks, 2 boxes at a time. I have 2 more boxes of 6mm BT's at Scheels ready to pick up tonight. They will not remain available for long, as Nosler will shut down BT production to move to Partitions or Accubonds next.

The company killing it right now is Hornady. If someone reloads with Hornady you are a happy person. You can find Hornady bullets in most mom and pop or hardware stores (hit up Cal-Ranch, they had loads). Big box stores will retain their empty shelves, there's just too much foot traffic there and things don't stay there long).

I'm just waiting for Accubonds to start showing up. I have a box or two as spares, but I'd like to get a few more boxes to allow some practice time over the summer. Prices are ungodly expensive though for them...Nosler's own website shows pricing north of $60 for 50.

Sad times.

-DallanC

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
I don't think it is as much as everyone needs it so it disappears quickly, I think it is that it has not actually hit the shelves. I don't know if they are not manufacturing it, or if these stores are letting their employees buy it before they put it out, but there just has been very little ever even seeing the shelves.

I don't reload so I can't comment on those components, but loaded ammo, in 7mm, has been nearly non-existent except for a 2 week period where I picked up 6 boxes back in the summer. 338 win mag has been almost entirely absent. I've seen a total of 2 boxes....TOTAL, in the last 18 months. I didn't buy it because I wasn't planning to hunt with it this year and have a few boxes still, but one day when I use that gun to kill my bison I'm going to want to shoot it a bit.

·
Administrator
10,481 Posts
From what I have seen is that within a hour or so of popular bullets, loading components, and loaded rounds are gone.

Joe goes into the store and sees what he and others need so he buys more than he needs and then calls all of his buddies to come on down to the store while there is still something left on the shelf. They show up and buy what's left.

A couple of friends of mine over in Denver know that I am headed to Africa this coming summer and they have called me a number of times asking me if I want them to pick up something when they see it on the shelves. I'm lucky in that I had enough components stockpiled that I'll be fine without paying inflated prices. But I did have to take stock of what I had on hand for the rifle that I intend on taking. But now I am toying with the idea of taking a different rifle but I still have enough ammo to get me through the hunt.

·
Registered
10,549 Posts
Bartering really is a thing atm with respect to components. Its relatively easy to trade something you dont need for something you do need. But, I've also sold lots of items over the summer to people in need, for just what I paid. It feels good to help a guy out, especially folk from UWN.

I have some old 7MM 140gr Barnes XLCs from back in the day when I was trying to get them to shoot. These remaining bullets have been pulled from cases and stuck in a ziplock. I'll give those away for free if anyone wants.

-DallanC

·
Administrator
10,481 Posts
Barnes XLC's are a tough one to get to shoot.

Perhaps that is why they discontinued them. I worked up a load for some 185 XLC's for my 340 Weatherby but while I could get them to shoot good enough I wasn't pleased with them so I got rid of them to a gent that loved them.

·
Registered
10,549 Posts
Yea I sold partial boxes I had... then later I ran across a box or so of loaded ammo. I pulled the bullets and put them aside. Found them recently.

-DallanC

·
Registered
10,549 Posts
I'm thinking that nobody makes .270 or 7mm any more....
Unicorns exist! Tonight at scheels... lead free 7mm (box was just stuck on the shelf from someone who moved it, IDK what its actual price was).

Font Technology Electric blue Machine Wood

I was also able to buy that new box of Remington Kleanbore ML primers that have been on ksl for a few days. Wasn't worth the gas to go get them at the time, but he lived close enough to Scheels to make it worth the short extra drive. Happy times.

-DallanC

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·

·
Registered
10,549 Posts
But they only exist if you reload.

-DallanC

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Nice!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just thinking out loud here.....curious what everyone else does?

My daughter has a Zion deer tag, and along with that comes a coupon to purchase non-lead ammo. We had this a few years ago as well, and I picked up some Barnes Vor-Tx LR 129gr .270 cartridges. I really liked them. I'd love to get some more.....

.....but the Sportsman's Warehouse site has shown them as "out of stock" for the last two months. Does anyone know if you can actually get these cartridges??

Muzzleloader starts up real quick too. I went out to shoot our muzzy guns on Saturday. I took 6 six (4 with the Knight, 2 with the Winchester). All shots were with my Federal Premium BORLock .50 cal 270gr bullets. I really like these bullets, and so do my rifles. I still have an unopened 15 pack of these bullets -- but I'd like to get some more. I've looked at a few places online (Sportsman's, Cabelas, Scheels, Bass Pro) and, once again, everything is "out of stock". I'm actually wondering if Federal stopped making this -- which would make me sad.

So, I'm just wondering -- how do all of you buy the bullets that you want? When you do find what you want, how confident are you that they'll still be produced by the next year?

(It's no different with archery and broadheads. You buy a pack of tips, and you can never find the same make/model ever again, forcing you to change everything every couple years....)
I reload. I also cast bullets for the handguns. I don't like the cast bullets for rifles, so I try to keep a 2 year supply on hand. Buy ahead. Get em when you see em. I try to keep a good stock of primers and powder. Have fun!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts