Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Things are winding down some, time for getting organized. I've been thawing geese in my refrigerator for a few days. The Instacure we ordered arrived today so it was time to get things started I cleaned and trimmed four geese worth, ~7-8# of meat, and coated them with the dry rub for pastrami using Hank Shaw's recipe:

Cleaned up four more geese to make corned geese with this recipe, using pickling spices according to the recipe:

I saved the lifters (supracoracoideus muscles, for the anatomists out there), marinated them in teriyaki sauce, then grilled them quickly. Delicious:
Food Tableware Ingredient Cuisine Dish

I've made the pastrami before and it's excellent. I've made corned goose as well, but this is a new recipe. We'll see how it turns out.

· Registered
31 Posts
Hey, this is perfect timing! I have 6 goose breasts in the fridge aging and I was thinking about giving the pastrami recipe a try. Any advice beyond what's in the recipe? Also those tenders look delicious Jon! Dinner tonight for us will be a traditional English Sunday roast-Buffalo eye of round, roast veg, Yorkshire puddings, and pan gravy. Nothing better on a cold night!

· Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cody, I followed the recipe pretty closely before, except I had trouble with the smoking part. I turned the smoker down when we went up to my daughter's house for a party. The temp dropped lower than I expected and I had a hard time getting the internal temperature up. When I increased the temp I ended up overshooting to about 152F. It took 14 hours total instead of the 4 hours I was expecting. Still turned out great. I'll do better this time. Let me know how yours comes out.

In addition to the pastrami and corned goose I'm going to just pressure can some breast. I've done it before and it makes awesome Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches. Just about anything you can do with beef you can do with Canada goose.

· Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quick follow up. I smoked the pastrami yesterday and sliced it 1mm thick today. Excellent! The very good news is that my wife likes it well enough that we're going to have hot pastrami sandwiches for dinner tomorrow.
Food Ingredient Glove Cuisine Dish

I've been brining 4 geese since last Saturday to make corned goose, and will be pressure canning it tomorrow. If there isn't a full load for the canner I'll fill the rest with canned goose, just beef bullion cubes and maybe a bay leave or two.

Reactions: johnnycake

· Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's the final result. We steamed the pastrami, then put in on grilled sourdough slathered with mayo and mustard. Added some provolone, then under the broiler for a minute or so. Then we put on the sauerkraut:
Food Ingredient Recipe Cuisine Fast food

Food Tableware Sandwich Ingredient Fast food

Now, my wife really doesn't like wild game, so that fact that she ate it is a triumph. Even better, her final verdict was, "Yum!"

Here's the corned and canned goose, future Reuben and Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches. Did you know that Costco sells Tater Tots in 8# bags? ;)
Food Mason jar Ingredient Cuisine Dish

1 - 9 of 9 Posts