Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK folks, if you had $400 approved from the wife for a new muzzy what would you pick and why? I'm leaning towards a knight bighorn western with the thumb grip, but that is mostly because I've only really used Knights.

·
Senior Goof
3,584 Posts
CVA optima V2 or accura V2 are both solid options.

That said, I don't shoot Knights so I can't say if the bighorn is better or not. I also hate thumb grips so I might be the wrong person to answer.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Love my TC Triumph. Shoots great, but most importantly seems balanced perfect for me! I would go shoulder them all and see what fits best!

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
not sure why guys like the thumb grips... You have to take your whole hand off basically to pull back back the hammer and then put your thumb back in. I've had to take some quick shots on deer before and the thumb hole would've driven me nuts. Can't go wrong with CVA though.

·
1,666 Posts
I like the thumb grip.

I can see the point about quick shots, but I'm not good enough with a muzzleloader to take a quick shot - So, I don't take quick shots.

I would rather watch the game walk away than take a shot I am not comfortable taking.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I think barrel length has a lot more to do with accuracy then thumb grips on muzzys... That being said with $400 I would go CVA Accura as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Id recommend getting a cva. My brother and I both have them (accura v2, and apex) and love them. I think there comparable or better than competitors in all price ranges. Maybe it's just my bias opinion, but we've never had any issues with ours.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Being a guy that sees muzzleloaders as more of a traditional style weapon, I went with a Traditions deerhunter kit that I put together myself... And with $400 you could do a hawken or a kentucky style and still have money left over for your powder and everything else..

·
Senior Goof
3,584 Posts
Good input guys. For me I love the extra stability I get with the thumb grip.
Just FYI, I mentioned the thumbhole stock because both of the recommended CVA's have it as an option.

The accura is incredible. That said if you want some extra money for a scope or powder and accessories, the optima is great and can be bought at your local walmart for a great deal.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I went with the CVA Accura V2 (27" barrel) and the nitride finish. Here are the first 3 shots taken with it at 50 yards. 110 gr. Blackhorn with a Barnes 290 gr. T-EZ bullet.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I went with the CVA Accura V2 (27" barrel) and the nitride finish. Here are the first 3 shots taken with it at 50 yards. 110 gr. Blackhorn with a Barnes 290 gr. T-EZ bullet.
I also have a CVA Accura and I have been very pleased with it. I was shooting my dad's Thompson Pro Hunter prior to buying my own muzzy and I like the Accura better. Great choice, you won't be disappointed!

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
I just bough me a new cva optima and a 1 power scope traditions hunter series scope at sportsmans walked out there door spending 350+ for both. that was the best deal i could find. now just got to go get stuff and go shoot the sucker. cant wait.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I built 2 CVAs back in the -80s, but they no longer make traditional muzzleloaders. Traditions and Thompson may make the kits you want. I put a Traditions kit together, it was easy.
If you are looking for accuracy watch for a faster twist. And a hooked breach will make it much easier to clean. That would rule out most Kentucky style rifles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts