Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'd say more likely a cinnamon teal. They are almost indistinguishable from each other, but Utah gets WAY more cinnamon than Blue wing. Blue Wings are actually pretty rare in these parts. Awesome none the less though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It is a hen blue wing. The white at the base of the bill tells the tale. Well, that's what I'm going with. Nice duck regardless.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I couldn't get as much detail as I would like while zooming in; but it sure looks like a hen cinnamon.

Reactions: wyogoob

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Why doesn't the Fish and Game waterfowl guidebook have an teal ID. picture in it?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Nice dekes Fowl! A nice drake Bluewing is kind of a "white whale" for me....I've seen a few in the early season and even missed a shot at one over the decoys a few years ago but I've never been able to connect with one. They are sure around, but not for long at the beginning of the season! Personally I think that they migrate with flocks of mourning doves.......

Reactions: Fowlmouth

·
Registered
29 Posts
TEAL

I once had an indepth conversation with an Biologist that was a 20 year veteran out at Farmington Bay, and was asking this same question? His response was that 98% of the Blue Teal leave Utah by the first part of September. He said the only way to tell 100% if it was a Blue Winged Teal is to do a DNA test. He was pretty much for sure it was a Cinnamon Teal?

On the bill size good luck on that one? I mess around with Bird Taxidermy and do a lot of casting of the orignal heads? I have a least 5 different molds for Mallards alone (drakes only)?? I also have a Redhead that is the size of a mallard also. Some people call it Hybriding? Let me tell you that certian types of duck have many variations of size and shapes? Next time you shoot a swan and have it checked look at the book where they record the size of the bill? All over the charts?

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
they are all cinnies..... Unless it's a fully plummed out drake, you have to assume it's a cinny. Just not many blue wings around.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts