Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I can get a bit of a response about this. My wife, son and his wife and I are headed to Los Cabos, about 20 minutes from Cabo San Lucas at the end of the month (Jan.). Here is my question. We have booked a 28' boat for my son and I to go fishing with Pisces Sport Fishing. We are on a limited budget, so we went with one of the smaller boats. So, has anyone out there ever booked with this outfit, Pisces Sport Fishing before, and if so, how was your experience? Internet searches tend to bring up their name an awful lot. And if you enter "fishing in Cabo San Lucas", or "San Jose del Cabo", they seem to be the most listed. I am just hoping I didn't make a mistake in booking them. It is a done deal, so I guess I am stuck regardless. But I'm just interested in others experience.

When we return, I'll hopefully be able to post a pic or two of some good fish! :)

Thanks in advance!

Tight lines, ya'll!

Gary

·
Registered
50 Posts
Last time I was down in Cabo San Lucas I went out with my dad and brother on a smaller boat and it only cost us $140.00 for 6 hours bait, license and everything included. I haggled the people down and walked the peir getting the best price. Some places wanted more than double for the same thing. We tore it up and caught lots of Red snappers and yellow tails. It was a blast!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Pisces is the most expensive, but they speak better english than almost all of the other services down there. You can tell them what you want to do, what you want to catch, and they'll have no problem. Don't make the mistake of booking one of the no namers that sit in the marina and make you lots of promises but really just end up taking your money at the end of the day. If pisces is too much try ABY charters, they did pretty well for me on my honeymoon.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Of the prices we saw on the internet, Pisces was as inexpensive as any. The 28' boat cost us $560.00 for up to 4 people which includes everything. Bigger boats went up from there to $2000.00. We figured the size of boat wasn't important for us. We will try and get into striped marlin or whatever else may be biting, yellow tail, snapper, grouper, mahi mahi, sharks, whatever. I just hope we get into some with some good size. I think it would be great if we could each land something in the 100 lb. range. The striped marlin get into the 300 lb. range, so if we can find them, we may have some luck that way. But I'll be content just to catch some good fish.

I have been out off of Los Angeles, Ensenada, Mexico, and San Felipe, Mexico. I hooked into a yellowtail off Ensenada, but couldn't get it in. I was using some rental stuff that for me would have been through away. I did land the biggest fish on the boat that day, a three foot barracuda. I hooked into something off San Felipe that broke my 20 lb. test in about 10 seconds, and the drag was loose enough that that shouldn't have happened. I asked the guy we were with, we were just fishing in a little dingy for like $60.00 a piece, and he said the fish was probably 30-40 kilos. That's 65-90 lbs! Too bad I couldn't have got that one, eh! My guess is that it probably bit through the line. The next time we went, I purchased 30 lb. test for my salmon poles, but didn't ever hook into anything big, just corbina in the 2-4 lb. range. Not even any big corbina. They sure are a good eating fish though!

And by the way, I'm pretty fluent in Spanish, so the language isn't a problem.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well sounds like you will have a fun time. I wish I could go back and do some fishing there. Have fun and remember to get some pics and post em.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts