Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've got some great spots that have had quite a few birds, but they are very quiet and seem rather call shy. I'm having a hard time getting them to come into me. Any tips?

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Pattern them and figure out where they head each day after leaving the roost....then get yourself in between. Call shy birds may give you a complementary gooble from a distance and then claim up. You get the long distance response and nothing until your right in their face. Cut them off, setup and be patient. Call as little as possible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, that's kind of what I figured. It's my first time turkey hunting so we're figuring it out as we go. The two clearings I've been to are near a bunch of ponderosas that they roost in. They cut through both of the clearings each day, plus all the tracks after the snowstorm confirmed that. I'll just park by one for the entire day and wait. I got impatient and started trying to hike until I found some (which has almost always gotten me deer). I found some, but could never get a shot off in time.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Good plan. Turkeys move around all day. We have several on some family property and we see them all day long at different spots.

Also, turkeys have two ruts?(for lack of a better word) much like deer and elk do. Sometimes the toms are silent in between when the hens are nesting. Toms respond accordingly to how the hens are acting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts