Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fall is in the air, can you smell it? I love this time of year and the smells that come with it. Like hot dogs at the football game, leaves under foot while hunting, and of course, the smell of elk. I was thinking about one of my first elk hunts. Our group had just finished a small drive through some thick stuff. A young cousing kept saying, "Can you smell it, can you smell it?" as he ran around sucking in huge breaths through his nostrils. It took an eight year old to get me to notice the rank scent of elk that lingered in the air. I look forward to that now every Fall.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Riverrat77 said:
I have a stuffy nose right now but man, I can sure feel it. Today just felt like a day I needed to be in the woods.... boy am I bummed I'm behind this stupid desk!! :?
Tell me about it. I have been sick since Friday, and took Monday off from work. Here it is, the "Magical Week" in September, and I'm taking a day off to be sick.
Pathetic! :oops:

·
Registered
366 Posts
This last weekend I was in Idaho hunting elk in the cold misty rain. I was sitting under some pines on top of a ridge overlooking some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen. As I sat enjoying the all the fall colors and the fresh mountain air, I let off a bugle into one of the valleys below me and a bull sounded off, followed by the response of two other bulls, much closer to me. My pulse quickened and I thought to myself, 'These moments are the reason I love hunting in God's Country.....'

·
Registered
202 Posts
Man could I smell it this morning! Too bad I couldn't see it so I could get a shot.

I love hunting in fresh snow! There is nothing better than following fresh elk tracks in snow that is less than 12 hours old. I was surprised that the snow was as deep as it was with almost 12 inches at 8,200 feet. It also surprised me that I did not hear a single call - not even from another hunter.

Sorry to hear you guys are sick or even worse WORKING on a day like today.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts