Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 weapons that I alternate between when I carry concealed. One is a compact Glock .40 (g23) and the other is a commander sized 1911 .45 (springfield champion). I am looking to purchase a smaller weapon for concealment and was wondering if what thoughts anyone wanted to share? I am leaning towards a Glock G36 (the single stack .45 subcompact) or a .357 snubby revolver, but I am open to other's tales, suggestions, and consumer reports (both good and bad). I want something that fits nicely in a coat pocket or IWB concealment rig.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Both of your ideas, the G36 and .357 snubby are good ones. Might also want to consider and XD sub-com. Not to mention Kahr's offerings and Keltec P-11s. heck, you better get a few, just to be safe. :)

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I carry the sub comp. .45 from Springfield or the Glock G30. I would love to have the G36. But I only got two hands. :lol: I also hear great things about the Sprinfield XD's in any caliber.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I conceal a Springfield XD45 Compact each day in a DeSantis Pro Stealth IWB holster. With the 'compact' magazine I can carry 10+1. With the regular magazine I can carry 13+1.

I recently compared this setup to carrying my 3" Taurus revolver in .357 Magnum. Carrying the Taurus is a little more bulky and only gives 6 shots.

I'd have to recommend sticking with a semi-auto. Perhaps one chambered for .357 Sig? That might provide a little more firepower, if that is what you are after. However, if I was considering something in .357 Sig, I would just go to a 10MM. THAT is one potent round!

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
If you're going to carry a .357 sig, make sure you have good ear plugs !!! You don't even need to hit another body......a couple rounds in the sky and anybody within 50 feet will be holding their ears....Jeez that's a 'sharp' report !!!!!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would prefer a sub-compact in .45 (I like the power in the small package) but the main reason I am also considering a .357 snubby is that my wife is interested in getting her CWP and it would be a good purse weapon for her as a less experienced shooter (point and shoot simplicity with the option of .38 ammo). I guess I just need to get a G36 for me and a snubby for her. Now I'm off to sign up for more overtime :wink:

·
Registered
642 Posts
Seeing as how you already have a Glock 23 .40 - I would stick with the same system that you are familiar with and just get the subcompact Glock 27 .40. You can then still use your higher capacity G23 mags in the G27 if the need arose which is a nice plus. No need to re-familiarize yourself with different controls, feel, and trigger pull. In a crisis, the G27 would operate and feel like an old friend (the G23). For a self-defense or crisis situation I am a big fan of the KISS principle (keep it simple stupid!)
If you decide to go bigger bore for some reason, the G36 is a nice way to go. I have shot one owned by a co-worker and really liked it, but they are hard to get lately and Glock did have some issues with a recent production run (which may be why they are in short supply - either that or the new .45 SF production run.)

I favor the outstanding Milt Sparks IWB Executive Companion holster for my G27.

·
Registered
494 Posts
It seems you are looking for something smaller and perhaps lighter?

May I suggest that to go smaller and lighter you may want to look at a smaller caliber? Just a clip full of 45s or 40s is not very light.

Something that would slip into a purse or pocket? I suggest a Ruger SP101 in 357.

Perhaps a S&W Mod 60 in 357?

These are concealable, yet very potent.

Some of the smaller 380s or 32 autos are easily concealed but won't deliver the punch of the 357.

Add to that the simplicity of operation and reliability of the revolver and I think that the revolver is a good option.

·
Registered
64 Posts
i carry a SW 6904 9mm almost year round, in the summer i used to just carry my wifes .38 spec. air light titanium.

now hearing all the "bad " about kal tec. i decided to buy one. it was 220.00$ new, with case, concealed holster, two mags and a box of ammo,
i tore it down and it looked kinda "cheesy" but after 100 rounds at the range without 1 single mishap i began to like it.
it is small. very small. smaller than my wallet. it is only a .32 but i think it would stop just about anyone. it holds 7+1.

for the $ and size i think it would be hard to beat!

i recently won a SW 99 in a .40 cal. it is a great carry gun as well, just a little big.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Al Hansen said:
I carry the sub comp. .45 from Springfield or the Glock G30. I would love to have the G36. But I only got two hands. :lol: I also hear great things about the Sprinfield XD's in any caliber.
As for the "sub compact" .45 no you don't. They don't make a "Sub Compact 45" they make a compact but not a "sub compact" in .45. FYI

It does not matter what you carry as long as your comfortable and efficient with it. I personally am a huge fan of the XD line of guns. I prefer them to any other but thats just me. Test out several different ones and get what fits you best...

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Another test you should do when searching for a carry gun is simple and IMO a good indicator of compatibility with your body (the way you hold it)

Take any gun (unloaded) in your hand, hold it at your side, close your eyes and raise it up to the shooting position with your eyes still closed. Once it is in shooting position open your eyes and see what the angle is. Some guns will have a downward angle while others will be straight, its a good indication as to the adjustments you will need to make in order to get an accurate shot off in a split second.

·
Registered
210 Posts
FROGGER said:
Take any gun (unloaded) in your hand, hold it at your side, close your eyes and raise it up to the shooting position with your eyes still closed. Once it is in shooting position open your eyes and see what the angle is. Some guns will have a downward angle while others will be straight, its a good indication as to the adjustments you will need to make in order to get an accurate shot off in a split second.
And THAT, my friend, is 1 of 3 reasons why I chose the XD over the Glock.

·
Registered
423 Posts
FROGGER said:
As for the "sub compact" .45 no you don't. They don't make a "Sub Compact 45" they make a compact but not a "sub compact" in .45. FYI ...
Semantics, I do carry a MICRO compact .45 with a 3" barrel which is often called a "subcompact". No, it is not an XD but it is made by Springfield none the less. FYI.

As to the question, study, handle/shoot guns, then make your decision. You can always buy another one when you find one you like better! I have three different concealables that I use for different occasions.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
If you have some freinds that would let you shoot theirs that would save you some rental fees. Otherwise go rent and shoot a few to get a feel. I personally like the .40 caliber bullet, it packs enough punch to get the job done but not so much that is hard to control.

I carry the Glock 27. I have shot a few freinds XD's (in different calibers) and they are very nice but, I prefer the smaller and lighter frame of the glock. I added +1 clip exstensions to both factory clips, as well as a extended magazine catch/release, and the extended slide release. I carry it in a galco concealable belt holster. With the additions and the holster this is a very nice package to carry IMHO.

·
Registered
494 Posts

Here you have the XD 45 and a Taurus Titanium in 44 Spl.

When you put one over the other they are not much difference
in length and width. It is in the weight that you see a big difference.

The XD with a full clip weighs 2 lb 8 oz.

The Taurus with a full load weighs. 1 lb 8 oz.

My thoughts on a carry piece is that it needs to be something that you can
and will carry comfortably all day every day. The Taurus fills that bill for me.

The 44 Spl is right about the same as a 45 Auto in energy produced.
Depends on the load. I will say that the recoil is sharp on the 44 in such a
light gun.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Doc said:
FROGGER said:
As for the "sub compact" .45 no you don't. They don't make a "Sub Compact 45" they make a compact but not a "sub compact" in .45. FYI ...
Semantics, I do carry a MICRO compact .45 with a 3" barrel which is often called a "subcompact". No, it is not an XD but it is made by Springfield none the less. FYI.

As to the question, study, handle/shoot guns, then make your decision. You can always buy another one when you find one you like better! I have three different concealables that I use for different occasions.
I would not call it semantics at all, there are many and notable differences between the Micro compact .45 and the Sub Compact XD line. Size is not the only qualifier here. The micro is a single stack while the XD is a double. Add the high capacity mag to the XD and your out of bullets long before i am. The Price difference is huge and while it is cool that a .45 comes in a 3 inch its not and XD which if you read the post is what we were talking about.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Al Hansen said:
Actually, Frogger, it appears to me that Mr. Hansen was referring to the 1911-style .45, as shown here. http://www.gundirectory.com/more.asp?gi ... gun=Pistol His second sentence, in his post, would tend to indicate that he was actually not referring to XD's initially. He wouldn't likely say he "hear(s) great things about the Springfield XD's" if he also owned one and had experienced it firsthand. Not that he needs me to defend his statement, but there seems to be a little confusion develope on this topic.

But yes, you are correct, there is no XD sub-com in .45. Rather, what Springfield calls the XD compact, as seen here: http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php?version=117 .

1 - 20 of 26 Posts