Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove up to Causey and 10 or so folks were scattered around on the ice fishing. Some were 100 yards or more off the dam.

Drove down to Pineview and walked down the strip on the north side of the dam narrow. Ventured out about 20 feet and threw a 10lb rock up in the air as high as I could get it. Zero penetration into ice and bounced off (landed about 30 feet out). I didn't have an auger with me so I got spooked. Will head up tomorrow with a 'friend,' rope, and an auger and report back. Looked like a few had ventured out but turned back.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Has anybody had good success ice fishing Causey? I have fished a couple times in years past and we rarely caught over one or two fish. Its been some time since I tried it through the ice though, I like to think I know a little bit more what im doing now. Maybe Ill have to give it a try this year.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Greenguy I got an auger, shelter and camera. I got the itch to get up to Causey and Im off till the 1st of the year.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Greenguy88 said:
Has anybody had good success ice fishing Causey? I have fished a couple times in years past and we rarely caught over one or two fish. Its been some time since I tried it through the ice though, I like to think I know a little bit more what im doing now. Maybe Ill have to give it a try this year.
A few years ago I had a decent day up there. I went up with a few buddies and fished the south arm at the end of the road. We used meal worms and regular worms. We caught about 12 fish in an hour and a half, the weather was practically a blizzard though, so we didn't stay too long.

All the fish were around 10 inches and all were splake. Since then tigers have been stocked in there and I am not sure how things have changed. Don't fish too deep, the fish do seem to like the more shallow areas of the lake it seems. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Causey usually fishes best from July till November. During spring/early summer, there is a runoff there, and the lake turns to chocolate milk, deeming it useless. It clears up, and the water levels go down during July. The levels remain low until the ice melts again in the spring. During the late summer/fall months, I usually do well with kokanee trolling. I also catch a bit of rainbow and splake. I have ice fished the place on 2 different ocasions, and both times I just pulled a couple of splake out. I was using worms, and stayed about 40-50 feet from the banks.

Pavlik

1 - 6 of 6 Posts