Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished for about 2 hours this afternoon, I landed 3 lost 4 more. My 2 buddies didnt get a bite. They were using ice flies tipped with meal worms. I was using a white tube jig tipped with meal worms. Ice was pretty thick but it was not good on the very edges, I went in up to my knees when we first arrive(made the rest of the day pretty cold for me, note to self where waders) but once we passed the edge ice it was plenty thick. Saw a deer do the same thing on the edge.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Thanks for the report Stupiddog, welcome to the forum. Its always fun going for a swim at the beginning of the day.
What kind of fish were you landing? Any size to them?

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Welcome back, stupiddog. Glad you found us.

That's freaky stuff to fall through (crossing fingers). Hope you stayed busy fishing during your "down time" from September until now.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, yes I have kept my fishing arm goin quite a bit since september, I think I ended up fishin more cause I had forum withdrawals. Good to see this place got put back together.
2 of the fish were tiny only 8 inches or so but 1 went 14-15 inches. No kokes yet.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I'll be fishing causey saturday. Third time this year .Whats up with the kokes this year at causey they are hiding good .

·
Registered
496 Posts
The kokes are normally hard to get through the ice. The best bet is to troll for them once the ice melts. The hot time for them at Causey is late June to early Aug.
Pavlik

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Yup, your right Pavlik. The temperature up at Causey in late June to August will be a lot hotter than it is now. Good call! I'd say 60 degrees or more toward the hot end. That'd be the hot time.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Pavlik said:
The kokes are normally hard to get through the ice. The best bet is to troll for them once the ice melts. The hot time for them at Causey is late June to early Aug.
Pavlik
The kokes are usually much easier through the ice. Once you find them, you can catch a 100 in your group.

·
Registered
889 Posts
FC2Tuber said:
Pavlik said:
Pavlik
The kokes are usually much easier through the ice. Once you find them, you can catch a 100 in your group.
where do you start to target them, never caught a koke. Do you start in about the deepest water you can find?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
FC2Tuber said:
Pavlik said:
Pavlik
Yeah please share cause have i never caught a Koke through the ice, nor have i even seen one caught through the ice....

·
Registered
88 Posts
The kokes at Causey can be hit and miss in my opinion but the more you go up there the better your odds are. We rarely go up there more than once or twice in the winter but we usually get into them every other year and when we do, we limlt out in just a few minutes. You never know where you will find them, I've caught them over deep water and I've caught them over shallow water. I think it is just a matter of being in the right place at the right time. Your best bet is to have a fish finder because you would never know they were there if you were fishing deep. They usually come through shallow from just a foot to twenty feet deep, some times deeper. When they do come through the screen on the finder will go black at times because of the number of kokes. I like to use an attactor like a silver kastmaster with a pink rat finkie a foot or so above. Good luck if you go up there and watch out for those edges. WH

·
Registered
843 Posts
Last year (Ice fishing)we were just about to call it a day when we had a school settle under us, it was fast fishing for about 30 min .I just think it's strange that no reports of any kokes caught .Wiperhunter I hope your wrong on the every other year thats means this year is not my year.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you can't catch them every year, I'm just saying I don't catch them every year. Like I said I don't go more than twice during the ice fishing season, if I don't catch them the first time I don't go back. The more you go the better your odds. Last year we caught them right out from the dam in 54ft of water, two years before that we caught them in the narrows on the south side. I would say if your not catching them then move but they might come through after you move, so really the best thing would be to have several people in different areas to increase the odds. When someone starts catching them move over as quick as you can because they won't hang around for long. Good luck, I hope this helps. WH

1 - 14 of 14 Posts