Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Hunting and fishing
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just drew the Central Mountains Manti Archery elk Tag and was wondering if anyone with knowledge of this tag was willing to share some information to help me. I hunt a lot in Idaho and Wyoming and can share information if needed.
Thanks Rob.

·
Administrator
10,907 Posts
Take a drive down Skyline Drive off of US 6. It runs all the way to I-70 on the south end.

You'll have plenty of company.

Hunt the sidecanyons and take your fishing pole

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Guessing LE:

Road access waypoints: (and yes, you will have PLENTY of company)

Skyline drive north starts here:

Skyline drive south here:

Miller flat road, here:

If you don't feel like driving miller flat road to get south of joes valley reservoir, you can enter via orangeville / huntington.

Never been south of Horn Mtn, so that's where i stop.

·
Registered
75 Posts
That's a great tag, my son had it last year. How much time do you have to hunt and what type of a hunt do you want? Also, what type of help do you have after the deed is done?

If you're looking for a dream elk hunt calling in multiple bulls a day but only have limited time I would focus on the last week of the hunt. We hunted the entire hunt, camped every weekend from Friday until Monday and saw a ton of bulls. The bulls were bugling throughout the hunt but that last week was a dream.

That last week the bulls moved up out of the bottoms. Prior to that we had long hard hikes to the bottom of the canyons and back up to get into elk. You can get into elk at any time during of the season it just depends on how much time you have and the effort you're able to expend.

He ended up killing a beautiful 7x8 with devils points, here are a couple of other bulls that were on his hit list. There was a true 400 inch bull down in there but we never saw him during the hunt and haven't seen him in any grip-n-grins online, not sure what happened to him and of course never got a picture of him.

Plant Plant community Larch Terrestrial plant Natural landscape
Plant Elk Plant community Deer Natural landscape
Plant Deer Tree Natural landscape Wood

·
Registered
Hunting and fishing
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all your help, I'm super excited and plan on doing a few scouting trips.
That's a great tag, my son had it last year. How much time do you have to hunt and what type of a hunt do you want? Also, what type of help do you have after the deed is done?

If you're looking for a dream elk hunt calling in multiple bulls a day but only have limited time I would focus on the last week of the hunt. We hunted the entire hunt, camped every weekend from Friday until Monday and saw a ton of bulls. The bulls were bugling throughout the hunt but that last week was a dream.

That last week the bulls moved up out of the bottoms. Prior to that we had long hard hikes to the bottom of the canyons and back up to get into elk. You can get into elk at any time during of the season it just depends on how much time you have and the effort you're able to expend.

He ended up killing a beautiful 7x8 with devils points, here are a couple of other bulls that were on his hit list. There was a true 400 inch bull down in there but we never saw him during the hunt and haven't seen him in any grip-n-grins online, not sure what happened to him and of course never got a picture of him.

View attachment 152024 View attachment 152025 View attachment 152026
Wow, amazing bulls. Congratulations for your son. Luckily for me time isn't an issue, I have the last 12 days planned but I will probably also hunt it earlier too. Physically I will have no issue and train year round and I will have help on this hunt. Is there any possibility of you sharing some canyons or areas you got into the bulls? If not I completely understand. With 17 points this will be the only time I will ever hunt the unit. I would love to stay in contact and let you know how my hunt goes. You can also email or text if you have some areas for me to check out. Thanks again for all your help and I love your pics. [email protected] or 208-941-9720

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thank you for all your help, I'm super excited and plan on doing a few scouting trips.

Wow, amazing bulls. Congratulations for your son. Luckily for me time isn't an issue, I have the last 12 days planned but I will probably also hunt it earlier too. Physically I will have no issue and train year round and I will have help on this hunt. Is there any possibility of you sharing some canyons or areas you got into the bulls? If not I completely understand. With 17 points this will be the only time I will ever hunt the unit. I would love to stay in contact and let you know how my hunt goes. You can also email or text if you have some areas for me to check out. Thanks again for all your help and I love your pics. [email protected] or 208-941-9720

Email sent.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts