Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I would love more details please. This is very disturbing to me as I have deer hunted the foothills above Centerville my whole life. What seems to be unrealized is that those urban deer dont stay urban 24-7. They are largely back and forth from the foothills into town on a daily basis. So if they take out 100 deer thinking they will magically be gone from town they are poorly mistaken. Another 100 will appear in town again shortly; then what? Execute more deer caught in traps. WTH!!!

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Most disturbing part here is that the I can see my grandparents which was later my brothers old house in this articles reference maps. Those fields back to the firebreak road and the foothills/mountains. To where I have personally harvested ALL of my bucks.

There are for the most part NO houses between the mountain and those fields. Thousands amongst thousands of deer have come off the mountain into those fields and subsequently into urban areas for millennium. I remember the DWR feeding deer in this urban area during harsh winters when I was a kid. This is insane!!!

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
Here's a link to the city council. The decision has been made but contacting them and letting them hear your voice would probably help for now and in the future:

http://www.centervilleut.net/elected.citycouncil.html

Contacting the division would probably also be helpful.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
The Division is who needs to be contacted on this, they are the ones that are going to implement this. Edit: On OUR behalf as trustees of OUR deer.

This is one more reason why ultimately the DWR is just fine with low wildlife numbers, keeps the prices and kick backs high, while reducing their work load. No wildlife, no problems.......

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Im contacting the city and the DWR now thanks. I wish I had known about this sooner. My bad for not being more aware. :(

·
Registered
4,786 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
if allot of the extended archery hunters would harvest some does, we would see less of this going on.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Between my brother dad and I we have three archery tags still and are just looking to put some meat in the freezer. We all would be fine shooting does, so if anyone here knows of a spot in Centerville that we could find some deer please let me know.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The city already voted on this. The division was there and represented their position. Too Little to late for this year, next time this comes around in august I will let you guys know so you can chip in. Emailing them or calling is just going to go on deaf ears as the vote was made.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
This action is unprecedented is it not??? I emailed all parties anyway. If nothing else I was able to vent. I wish I would have known about this before today so I could have tried to have some influence. Like I said earlier I blame myself for that for not being more aware.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
The city already voted on this. The division was there and represented their position. Too Little to late for this year, next time this comes around in august I will let you guys know so you can chip in. Emailing them or calling is just going to go on deaf ears as the vote was made.
There needs to be plenty of people contact them and the DWR. It will at least let them know there is opposition to this. This won't be the last time an issue like this comes up, better to speak up now.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
As trustees of our wildlife, the DWR were representing on behalf of all Utahans. With their funding coming from tag revenue, they were more specifically representing the view of Utah sportsmen, whether we like it or not.

Regardless of whether a deer is standing on Kings peak, or in my backyard, it belongs to the people Utah. We therefor have a say in this, vote already made or not, it is not the City of Centerville's call from a legal point of view.

That authority lies with the DWR, and they work for US as trustees of OUR wildlife. This can not be emphasized enough.

Reactions: #1DEER 1-I

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Just a typical move.Increase the Archery Tags..Let them be harvested..100 this year? how many next year? DWR and residents. Invest some of that General Fund CASH. Trap em ..Transplant them after they have been tested for the crud..Lots of places State Wide to relocate..NEXT any place from North End to the South end of the front where the populations increase.. Trap em!! Kill em off!! and if your real lucky a big bad winter and you can get rid your selfs of the Mule Deer. Whats Next? ELK? MOOSE ? TURKEYS? COMEON MAN..The Winter of 82 83 85% of the herd was gone..

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Just a typical move.Increase the Archery Tags..Let them be harvested..100 this year? how many next year? DWR and residents. Invest some of that General Fund CASH. Trap em ..Transplant them after they have been tested for the crud..Lots of places State Wide to relocate..NEXT any place from North End to the South end of the front where the populations increase.. Trap em!! Kill em off!! and if your real lucky a big bad winter and you can get rid your selfs of the Mule Deer. Whats Next? ELK? MOOSE ? TURKEYS? COMEON MAN..The Winter of 82 83 85% of the herd was gone..
Just a side note: You can't test live animals for CWD, which is what is being cited as the concern WRT translocation.

Currently there is a lot of new information about prion diseases(conditions really) like CWD. And without going off on a huge side track, it is no surprise that it is showing, we can expect to see a whole lot more.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
The way Davis County wants to run wildlife, just put a red ear tag in all of them, stick them out on Antelope Island, and sell tags to the highest bidders to go out and shoot them. Everybody wins. :-/

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
if allot of the extended archery hunters would harvest some does, we would see less of this going on.
i still have a tag and would be happy to help. i'd rather take one here and put the meat to use than have them exterminated like nutria rats.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
My biggest problem with this is not that 100 deer are going to be killed. My problem is the DWR did nothing to ask the millions of other Utah public if it was okay to represent us like that. These are wildlife held in trust by the DWR for ALL citizens of Utah. If we start here agreeing to decimate a herd then every time this issue comes up we will get "represented" the same way. The DWR did not represent me or my views at this meeting and I agree just did what they had to, to make their job easier. I won't accept decimation of our wildlife even if they are bothering suburbian people who moved into their habitat and planted tulips for them to eat. The DWR should be hammered on some of the things they do and it was neither their nor the city councils decision to decide for everyone what we do with those wildlife. It should have been made more public and the decision better thought out. I'm fine with management but the DWR was going to agree to wipe them out from the looks of it. If you choose to build or buy in an area that wildlife used or continue to use, it is partly on you to deal with it. Now our license money gets to go to ensuring decimation of a herd of deer. Doesn't sound to me like they are best representing or giving opportunity to those that fund their agency or they should be protecting. Contact both the city and slam the DWR for this. If we tolerate these things and pass them off even after the vote we will continue to watch us and our wildlife take a back seat and not be considered in every scenario.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
In a response from the DWR the city has to have a proposal ready by December 31st on how they want to deal with the issue. The DWR responded saying to contact the city council to consider others opinions while coming up with their proposal. In the end it is the DWRs call to accept or not. Send your emails make your phone calls if you would like to comment on the issue. The overall decision isn't made and your opinion still matters on the issue.

Reactions: Lonetree

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I blasted the DWR for allowing this also. It was from my work email earlier so I will report any response I got on here tomorrow. Also sent emails to the city. This must NOT be tolerated. I understand I have a personal interest in these deer because they are the ones I primarly hunt but ****. This is crazy. By the way these deer are not slouches. Here is my 2008 buck I killed right on these foothills migrating east up the mountain after spending the dark hours of the day down low. Imagine some deer hater catching this guy in thier trap for raiding flowers in their garden and then executing him in a cage. Hell no!! Not on my watch

Attachments

1 - 20 of 52 Posts