Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drew the Central Manti archery elk tag this year. I have never been to the unit and would appreciate any help/advice on the unit.
I would like to go scouting before the hunt but have no idea where to even begin.
Also I am thinking of pulling a 5th wheel up there if anyone has any advice on where to camp.
Thanks for any help

·
Registered
787 Posts
I have the same tag but for Muzzleloader. It is a big unit with lots of area. I would say start by looking at all the maps you can find and focus your attention on one area. Like has been said get on Skyline Drive and pick an area that looks good. The Skyline Drive basically runs the whole length of the unit from North to South so it leaves you with lots of options. I think you have a good plan of taking your trailer up and camping, there are tons of trails and roads all over the unit that you can get to know. The Manti elk herd is one of the biggest in the state so finding elk down there isn't the issue you just have to decide what caliber of bull you will be happy with and make the most of it. It is an amazing area and some of the most scenic views around.
So not sure if that is what you are looking for but hopefully it helps a little. I will be spending as much time as possible getting to know the unit better myself so maybe we will cross each other on the trails. Good Luck!

·
Registered
505 Posts
One thing to consider is the North end has 4 or 5 different CWMUs. You'll want to be aware of those boundaries. Still plenty of huntable land, especially from Skyline, but don't waste time/effort scouting out areas you can't hunt.

Edit: I should also add that there are some large areas of private land that aren't part of CWMU that you'll want to avoid, specifically around Scofied, Clear Creek, and Electric Lake.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts