Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working a fire at Scofield years ago got me interested in the area. I've only recently started archery hunting the manti and haven't had too much trouble getting on elk. That said, they still seem to be in lower numbers than I thought I'd find but that may be due to where i'm hunting and scouting. The north end from Fairview out to hwy 6 has had the better access for me to learn the area and the terrain is similar to where I typically hunt. That has me wondering if I'm missing out by not getting down toward Joe's valley? I've heard the south end might hold more elk but is that due to the more open terrain and elk being easier to spot?

And as a side note, price river was solid mud after yesterday's storm. That burn scar isn't dealing well with the high PI.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
They tend to be more on the east side of the northern part of the unit from what I’ve found. About mayfield/12 mile and south, they are pretty evenly distributed across the southern part. Find a good spring in the cedar hills down low and you’ll kill good bulls with the bow. Let everyone else have the high elevation bulls. You’ll have the cedar bulls to yourself

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks moose, I'll check that out. I plan to spike/cow hunt this year with the bow more as a scouting tool for the kid. I put him in for a point at 12 and the hunt this season thinking it would take several years to draw if at all. Well, the kid got lucky and has a fun hunt this season. My plan is to scout pre season and while hunting during the archery. He'll likely take the first decent bull that he sees in range and I'll let him make that call after some pre hunt guidance. All I'm after is a good experience during the rut for him. If I can call a few bulls in for him, he'll be ecstatic as well.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Thanks moose, I'll check that out. I plan to spike/cow hunt this year with the bow more as a scouting tool for the kid. I put him in for a point at 12 and the hunt this season thinking it would take several years to draw if at all. Well, the kid got lucky and has a fun hunt this season. My plan is to scout pre season and while hunting during the archery. He'll likely take the first decent bull that he sees in range and I'll let him make that call after some pre hunt guidance. All I'm after is a good experience during the rut for him. If I can call a few bulls in for him, he'll be ecstatic as well.
If you can keep a spot a secret and not reveal its location to anyone else (and your kid can too), shoot me a pm. I have a low country cedar hills spring that always has bulls hitting it. It’s in a dumb spot, super easy to get to, but the traffic is next to none from bowhunters. I’d definitely sit it if I had a manti archery bull tag… haven’t sat there yet and not had a bull come in. I’ve got another spot that I know has water in it, I remember finding an old treestand someone built sometime in the 80s probably, but I was too young to remember where exactly it is or why a stand would be there, but now I know. I just haven’t been back through there since. Same general area.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts