Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. New to the threads but have been hunting UT since I moved here for the last three years. Had success 2 seasons ago during rifle spike elk on off Skyline Dr. near Mt. Pleasant. Drew out a cow tag for Nov-Jan. Haven't hunted there this late in the year, and haven't had time to scout due to extended archery (first year bow hunter so needless to say unsuccessful but an absolute blast). During spike season I hunt up high, hike by butt off and hope to get lucky. However, with the cold weather I am not sure where to even start. My hunch is they are low, but I haven't hunted any of the lower areas. Anybody with more experience than a few weekends in the area willing to share some insight on where to start? HS Teacher here trying to fill the freezer.

·
Registered
108 Posts
We used to hunt the West mountains for deer years ago before much of it was bought up by the auto-auction folks from SLC. Never did hunt elk over there.

Your best bet would be to reach out to the conservation officer there in Manti. Used to be Brad Bradley, nice guy, but he may have retired??? Not sure who the new officer would be, but I'd certainly track him/her down. My family in the area tell me a lot of the West mountains are private so you'd better figure out where you can hunt to stay out of trouble :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips guys. Now I just figure out how to get into the mountain. Haven't been able to determine exactly what roads are closed and open. I know Skyline is closed, but I can't tell if the canyon roads leading towards Skyline are closed or not.
And yes, Brad Bradley retired. Quite a few articles on how good he was for the communities and land he worked.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts