Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Put some miles on the boots today to scout for a dedicated hunter tag and check on a trail cam. My buddy's uncle has a premium elk tag as well so we kept an eye out for him we didn't find to much in the way of deer but did find a few nice Bulls. The trail cam had over 7000 pictures on it unfortunately 99% of them were of the ground a elk knocked it off the tree three days after we dropped it off. It was nowhere to be found when we first arrived so I thought at first it was stolen.But I also had my doubts about theft since this is a hard to locate wallow in a pretty remote area. I decided to check around the area and Fortunately I found it. It ended up in the wallow about 15 feet away from the tree. Here is a video of the highlight hopefully we can put my buddy's uncle on that first bull!!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry you have to click on the link I cant get it to embed in the post.. Yes I did read about how to do it but I guess i'm not smart enough!

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Very nice, I think part of the reason the Manti area has such healthy animals is due to the abundance of water up there.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Great footage, with nice elk and deer! Hopefully I can find a bull like that on my Muzzy Elk hunt this year. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! I'm headed out again next weekend for a backpacking overnighter. Hopefully my trail cam survived this time and hopefully I'll have some more video for you guys! On a side note looking through some of the pics the first buck in the video looked familiar so I looked at last years pics and I think it's the same buck what do you guys think? The bachelor group pic is from last year I think the buck in the back is the same buck as the one in the other pic. When I get home I'll post another pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Nice looking animals!

Without giving away your spot...Is this north of 12 mile canyon or south of 12 mile canyon
I bet you are hoping he says south based on your name.

The South end of the unit has no lack of water. I too was up there over the weekend scouting and it is still very green and wet.

Brendo, I'll let you know if we see any big Bulls on the south end. The growth I've seen on the Bucks this year has been good. Unfortunately (not really ) I've got to focus more on my bull tag in the books than my dedicated deer tag on the Manti.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ya, that was pretty obvious. I have seen some pretty nice animals this summer but I did not draw out this year. I love to see other hunters succeed. I love this area and the deer herd is slowly getting back to what it needs to be. By-the-way. I do think that is the same deer in both pics.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Willow, I will be hunting elk on the Muzzy hunt down there. I will be closer to Manti Canyon and 12 Mile, but would love any updates or info you have. Thanks a bunch!

·
Premium Member
11,689 Posts
Sorry you have to click on the link I cant get it to embed in the post.. Yes I did read about how to do it but I guess i'm not smart enough!
That is much more complex anymore, I deleted the S from http and then deleted teh youtu.be from the end.

I have learned to get mine way up high; they sure love messing with them, thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Went up on the manti again this weekend, But this time we ended up backpacking into an area I have been wanting to check out for a couple of years. It paid off great for the elk unfortunately we were not able to turn up the caliber of buck we were after. We got in late last night so just set up camp and got rest for the morning. We ended up seeing 20 bulls 6 of which were good six points. I was not able to get video of 2 of them. We also saw 8 bucks only 2 were decent and they were 3 points. Overall it was a fun trip and as usual enjoy some of the highlights.

·
Registered
57 Posts
That's a mighty nice looking bunch of fellas there in that old burn area. It's like they are just hangin out discussing how they are going to frustrate all the hunters this fall.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great footage, a few of those bulls were really nice. That big 3x3 was a good looking buck.
Yeah definitely some healthy animals. If I had just a general tag I would be all over those three points I am going to be picky though because I've got the dedicated tag.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts