Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was not lucky enough to draw any type of tag to hunt this year and none of my family or close friends have tags. So how dangerous would it be to leave trail cameras in the hills this fall? I do not know anyone that has a tag so I would not be aiding or helping anyone with the taking of game this fall. I am curious how many of you would be willing to take the chance of leaving a camera with the fear of having destroyed or taken by much of the misinformation that is out there concerning the use of trail cams? I really enjoy the late fall pics and videos especially during the rut. Just not sure if I trust those out and about this year.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
I would definitely put it in a lock box. And probably a note, claiming that you are not a hunter and are not using it for hunting purposes. That "might" save it.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Enough folks are pissed off about the new "stupid rule" and I wouldn't chance it. I argued my point with the F&G a couple weeks ago about the new rule and they told me they will remove any camera they see after July 31st.

You could buy it back at the auction they hold every year.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Enough folks are pissed off about the new "stupid rule" and I wouldn't chance it. I argued my point with the F&G a couple weeks ago about the new rule and they told me they will remove any camera they see after July 31st.

You could buy it back at the auction they hold every year.
If they plan to remove ALL cameras after July 31st, then why don't they amend the rule to make it illegal for anyone (hunter or non-hunter) to run cameras after that date? Seems lame to have a law that allows some to legally run cameras, and then implement a policy that prevents that from actually happening.

·
Administrator
11,092 Posts
The DWR posted that if you come across a camera to just report it to them with the GPS location of where it is at. They will then investigate on if it is legal or not.

They also said to leave it along and not to do any damage to it or you may be libel for the damage.

If it was my camera I would pick it up.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
If they plan to remove ALL cameras after July 31st, then why don't they amend the rule to make it illegal for anyone (hunter or non-hunter) to run cameras after that date? Seems lame to have a law that allows some to legally run cameras, and then implement a policy that prevents that from actually happening.
How would the F&G know if its a hunter or not? Much easier to confiscate and then proceed with the investigation if someone comes looking for it at the office.

They could have just required a registration and fee for each camera an individual puts out along with GPS coordinates for each camera. They could have made a little money this way and kept folks from setting multiple cameras in one location. Have a 100 yard separation distance from another registered camera.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I’ve ended up having 2 that I couldn’t get off the trees (lost keys to the locks last fall) that will have to stay up 🤷🏼‍♂️ I plan on the one being destroyed almost immediately. The other one I doubt anyone will ever find. If they do, I’m sure that one will be a goner as well. The one hasn’t had batteries or the cards changed since June of 2020. The other was last changed out the first of September 2021.

i think you’re brave if you throw one out hoping to not have it messed with this fall. But, you are still legal to do so… I personally believe they should have made camera use completely illegal after august 1 to everyone. That would help sort things out much faster for law enforcement.

·
Registered
Hunting, Fishing, Trapping, Targets, Hiking, Foraging, Shroom Hunting, Farming, Gardening, Building
179 Posts
Maybe we should still bring a card reader so if we do see a cam we can quickly access those photos, close up the box and be on our way………… 🤔😋

·
Registered
142 Posts
Still shaking my head at this new ruling.

There will likely be a few more people who will be willing to destroy a camera. However, I think if most weren't in that crowd prior they will continue to leave it alone and just report it.

I opted to not do cameras this year as a wait and see. Avoid any potential drama this year.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have a few I'm leaving out. They are in very discrete areas. I didn't draw any tags either and don't even hunt the unit the cameras are in. If by chance somebody does find them .... all well. The kids like looking at the pics we get. I have a bobcat that seems to frequent the area.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I am planning on bringing a role of electrical tape with me when I am scouting and hunting. Any cameras I find will get a piece of tape over the lens.

🖕🖕🖕🖕

If I find one with a note claiming they are not being used for hunting than I might leave it alone....

·
Registered
Hunting, Fishing, Trapping, Targets, Hiking, Foraging, Shroom Hunting, Farming, Gardening, Building
179 Posts
I’m never going to touch anyone else’s camera and I’m never going to report anyone leaving trail cams out. FU DWR! I personally don’t use cams but I don’t mind those that do even after the brown shirt mafia (verderers) make up stupid rules etc. Again, FU DWR! 🤑

·
Registered
136 Posts
How would the F&G know if its a hunter or not? Much easier to confiscate and then proceed with the investigation if someone comes looking for it at the office.

They could have just required a registration and fee for each camera an individual puts out along with GPS coordinates for each camera. They could have made a little money this way and kept folks from setting multiple cameras in one location. Have a 100 yard separation distance from another registered camera.
That is my whole point-thank you. There is no way for law enforcement to know if a camera is left up legally or not after 7/31 so why not just make the rule apply to everyone in the first place?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I’m never going to touch anyone else’s camera and I’m never going to report anyone leaving trail cams out. FU DWR! I personally don’t use cams but I don’t mind those that do even after the brown shirt mafia (verderers) make up stupid rules etc. Again, FU DWR! 🤑
You do understand the DWR tried to make only cell cams illegal right? That was their proposal. Normal cams would still be legal if their proposal was passed. If you want to tell someone to get phucked, the wildlife board is who you need to curse. Some RAC members as well. DWR tried to be fair with everyone on this deal. Their opinion and voice was heard about as much as the publics was on this matter.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
That is my whole point-thank you. There is no way for law enforcement to know if a camera is left up legally or not after 7/31 so why not just make the rule apply to everyone in the first place?
I don't believe DWR has the authority to regulate "everyone" in that fashion. They can regulate the behavior of hunters though.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I decided to get into cameras this year. Bought two and hung them about 3.5 miles and a difficult hike in. A few weeks later some crackheads start a forest fire and the mountain torches itself. Now my cameras look to be about 300 yds from the fire line so I don't even know if they're on trees that got cut for fire line or if that map is off a little maybe they're burned. The area is closed, probably will be for at least another month. I do hunt the area and have a tag in there but I'm not getting my cameras by Sunday!
If they survive and the section gets opened back up at least I get a couple extra months of pictures. Needless to say it's been a hassle.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts