Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who is wearing what here? My wife and I recently purchased 2 pairs of pants and 3 long sleeve shirts from Wal-Mart for a total of $60. This was all Mossy Oak and Realtree brand stuff. Compare that to what I have seen for the more hoity toity camo brands at Sportsmans Warehouse: $90 for one pair of King's camo pants, $350 for a Sitka windbreaker! Really?! Who is buying this stuff?!?! I guess I could see shelling out some serious money for top of the line cold weather gear camo, but I don't really need any of that with our August-September Utah archery seasons. I have killed some mighty fine animals wearing blue jeans and a gray hoodie. Is there anyone spending half a paycheck on their camo getup here?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I spend more then I should on camo. But I enjoy it, I like buying different style and patterns of camo. But like you had mentioned, some of the biggest animals I've been involved with, I've been wearing cheap camo or blue jeans and a plaid shirt.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I pretty much got away from cotton for hunting clothes. Might work ok to aid evaporation cooling when it's hot but I find synthetics much better all around.
As far as camo is concerned I have quite a few different brands although not Sitka or the the other expensive brands. I like a more open pattern than Mossy Oak or Real Tree and a lighter shade.
I will say that once the weather starts changing from early August normal weather to more fall like weather quality gear becomes more important. Throw some nice cold rain or snow in the mix and you will be hunting in camp with most the gear from Walmart.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I pretty much got away from cotton for hunting clothes. Might work ok to aid evaporation cooling when it's hot but I find synthetics much better all around.
As far as camo is concerned I have quite a few different brands although not Sitka or the the other expensive brands. I like a more open pattern than Mossy Oak or Real Tree and a lighter shade.
I will say that once the weather starts changing from early August normal weather to more fall like weather quality gear becomes more important. Throw some nice cold rain or snow in the mix and you will be hunting in camp with most the gear from Walmart.
I guess it just depends where you hunt. It's pretty rare for me to ever have to worry about any fiercely cold weather during archery season where I hunt. By the rifle hunt I might have to think about dressing warm, but I'm not wearing camo by then either.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I guess it just depends where you hunt. It's pretty rare for me to ever have to worry about any fiercely cold weather during archery season where I hunt. By the rifle hunt I might have to think about dressing warm, but I'm not wearing camo by then either.
True that. But us lucky northern guys hunt to the end of November or middle of December :mrgreen: Gets a little chilly by then. So I just buy whatever I need for hunting in Camo. Cheaper to buy a orange vest and hat for the rifle hunts.

It's all good my biggest complaint with Mossy Oak and Real Tree is it seems to blob out. I prefer Predator, ASAT or Natural Gear patterns. But then I can't prove they work any better either.

·
Registered
527 Posts
It really depends on what your doing. There is nothing wrong with walmart camo for the right things.
I've done a couple things where having quality clothing made the difference in being semi comfortable so I use it for everything now.
A multi night back pack hunt will leave cotton clothing smelling worse than butt whereas merino wool is amazing in how it doesn't smell.
A late season hunt in snow can be ended by sweating in cotton on the hike in and then having it freeze solid onto you.
Even in the middle of August on a caribou hunt you can get snow and freezing weather. You don't want cotton when the float plane could be days away from getting you depending on weather.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Just remember one thing: cotton kills. That being said, the high price end brand stuff is usually better for adverse conditions, the camo is a sales and marketing gimmick.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Comfort plays a key factor for me when it comes to Camo. I'm a taller guy and I like the way Kings Camo fits and feels when hiking, sitting or stalking. I've tried the real tree that Walmart offers and it doesn't fit me right. That being said I go to the Kings Camo outlet store and try and get my gear throughout the year when it's on sale. I agree Camo seems a bit over priced.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
I own WAAAAAAAAY TOOO MUCH CAMO....:!:....:cool:......
Several different brands.....

Probably a 100 sets between me and the kids...

Were some sort of camo every day........

Find myself liking the Wal-mart stuff for working around the yard type stuff..
And Kings for hunting.......

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
I've never had any game complain about the walmart camo yet. And I am a cheapskate, I always hit the wally worlds in the early spring when they start putting the camo on clearance and get it for half price to 75% off. Last year I bought 3 insulated medium weight camo jackets with hoodie hoods on them and got them for 60% off the regular price. I also bought 4 fleece camo pull overs that we wear duck hunting and got them for 75% off (I think I even paid just $3.50 for one of them). I have about 5 camo shirts that are military surplus I bought from DI for less than $10 each and I also have a heavy duty military camo coat with insulated liner that I got from DI for $15. I will be hitting up KMart and Shopko in about a month or two and seeing if they have any snow pants left for 75% off. I get them big enough to fit over a pair of jeans with thermals underneath that I bought from Kmart a couple of years ago for 75% off. The thermals/jeans/snow pants-bibs keep me more than warm enough even down to 0 degrees and the thermals cost around $5 per set and the snowpants/bibs around $10 each. The key to being unseen is to be still and be in the shadows...very hard for any game to spot you then.

Reactions: mjensen1313

·
Registered
416 Posts
My opinion is that for shirts you can get away with the Walmart special, but if you are going to be out in the rain and you need quality gear that will keep you warm/dry, you get what you pay for. The Walmart rain gear might protect you for the first 20 min of a rainstorm, but if you are out of cover for more than that you will be better off spending a little more dough to keep you comfortable.

·
Super Moderator
9,629 Posts
If you are in a rainstorm for that long you need rain gear and not just some expensive camo outfit.

On my hunt in British Colombia I lived in my rain gear, it rained for 7 out of the 10 days that I was up there, and no matter what you were wearing other than rain gear you would of been soaked.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
If you are close enough that the deer or elk can read the label on your camo, then I'm not sure what brand or what you paid matters at that point.

I see it like 90% of the fishing lures in the store - they aren't there to catch fish, but instead to catch fishermen.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
If you are in a rainstorm for that long you need rain gear and not just some expensive camo outfit.

On my hunt in British Colombia I lived in my rain gear, it rained for 7 out of the 10 days that I was up there, and no matter what you were wearing other than rain gear you would of been soaked.
To me, rain gear and camo are two totally different issues. Being from Louisiana I have seen it rain 12 inches in 24 hours on several occasions. With that kind of rain even good rain gear will still end up letting in a little water here and there. I don't mind a little drizzle but if it's going to be a frog drowner I am staying in the camp....warm, dry and well fed until Noah comes to rescue me.

·
Super Moderator
9,629 Posts
To me, rain gear and camo are two totally different issues. Being from Louisiana I have seen it rain 12 inches in 24 hours on several occasions. With that kind of rain even good rain gear will still end up letting in a little water here and there. I don't mind a little drizzle but if it's going to be a frog drowner I am staying in the camp....warm, dry and well fed until Noah comes to rescue me.
I was using some of Cabela's Dry Plus gear. It came in a camo similar to real tree and I highly recommend it. It is a little costly but when it comes to staying dry cost is a second thought.

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
I only wear the newest, and most expensive gear that I can find. It's not about the hunt, but how good you look. Oh, and you need to match the decals in the back window of your truck. Major loss of cred points if you don't.

·
Administrator
21,349 Posts
Most of my camo is 20 years old or more.

Pros:
It's cotton.
It's faded, with lots of blood stains.
No cell phone pocket.
Much of it is Natural Gear.
The elk and deer haven't seen these patterns before.

Cons:
It's cotton.
It's faded, with lots of blood stains.
Geeze, my camo sure has shrunk a lot.

I had a really neat camo tent once. It blended in so well I put it up and then couldn't find it.

·
Administrator
21,349 Posts
Nothing blends in like Brown AP Real Tree.

I had a Brown AP Real Tree Buck knife once...uh...just briefly...like 15 minutes. :)

Reactions: GaryFish
1 - 20 of 44 Posts