Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Children should not be hunting

Regarding the recent article on the teenage girl who killed a deer while bow hunting:

It's a shame that this young lady finds it "cool" to cause pain and suffering upon helpless wildlife. What is sadder still is that her parents are not discouraging this violent behavior (Willard teen shoots and scores with basketball, hunting bow, 12/26).

Rather than destroying their natural affinity to animals, children should be taught to participate in outdoor activities such as camping, hiking and wildlife watching -- activities that can fill children with wonder and respect for the outdoors without having to commit violence upon wildlife.

Perhaps a better reason for children to avoid hunting is that the sport tragically injures or kills children every year. In a random sampling of 200 hunting accidents that have been reported by the news media in 2007, 12 percent of hunting injuries and fatalities victimized children aged 17 and younger. I can think of no greater tragedy than losing a child to something as unnecessary as a hunting accident, yet this is a nightmare that becomes reality far too often.

To enjoy the outdoors, children can take part in wildlife watching, the dominant form of wildlife-related outdoor recreation in Ohio. According to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the number of Ohio residents who fed, photographed or otherwise observed wildlife in 2006 outnumbered Ohio's hunters by more than six to one (3.25 million to 0.5 million respectively).

The time has come to stop our children from becoming pawns of the weapons industry. To protect wildlife and the areas where they live while simultaneously promoting a more peaceful world, please visit http://www.cashwildwatch.org.

Joe Miele, Vice President

Committee to Abolish Sport Hunting

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/app ... /801070302

Comment --- There is a comment place available to educate the people who read this garbage.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
How about we quit allowing kids to play violent video games, oh and the fact that too many kids are getting killed in cars accidents, how about we quit allowing kids to ride in cars.

·
Premium Member
11,689 Posts
This was my favorite part:
Renegade said:
To enjoy the outdoors, children can take part in wildlife watching, the dominant form of wildlife-related outdoor recreation in Ohio. According to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the number of Ohio residents who fed, photographed or otherwise observed wildlife in 2006 outnumbered Ohio's hunters by more than six to one (3.25 million to 0.5 million respectively).
So, based on this same logic, minorities will now have all of their civil liberties revoked, gays will now be openly mocked and humiliated, the majority religion in each state will now be the adopted and mandatory religion of each state.

I have read a lot of garbage in my time, which generally makes me more wise and makes me reconsider my views, however this is the most illogical and most poorly thought out article I have ever read. Since A+B=C, D+X=Z *\-\* . Pawns of the weapons industry!!?? Incredible, convinced me, anytime you can throw a conspiracy theory in there, you have my vote. On the other hand, maybe it is the same liberty that I use to participate in hunting as you use to make a [email protected]$$ of yourself in print.
Thanks Renegade, now you got me worked up!! O|* -#&#*!-

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
The part that I like the best is "fed" the wildlife. I don't know of any wildlife department that condones feeding wildlife. The smartest thing we can do is to teach our kids is to feed the bears.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These dorks come out of the woodwork everytime we get a positive hunting story in print anywhere. They have no common sense or logic.

I have a bumper sticker that reads:

HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO HUNT FOR YOUR KIDS

·
Registered
372 Posts
The part that I like the best is "fed" the wildlife. I don't know of any wildlife department that condones feeding wildlife.
I think what they are really referring to here is birds. Putting a bird feeder in the back yard counts as a wildlife related activity. And while I enjoy that, it certainly won't take the place of hunting. Even if I pick off the starlings and house sparrows with the pellet gun. But wait, that would make me a pawn of the weapons industry, wouldn't it? :roll:

·
Registered
110 Posts
In a random sampling of 200 hunting accidents that have been reported by the news media in 2007, 12 percent of hunting injuries and fatalities victimized children aged 17 and younger.
Now there is a real objective source for getting your hard core facts on hunting accidents. The news media?!? The reports I've seen on this issue indicate a very low percentage of accidents in hunters under the age of 18.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Renegade said:
Children should not be hunting

Regarding the recent article on the teenage girl who killed a deer while bow hunting:

It's a shame that this young lady finds it "cool" to cause pain and suffering upon helpless wildlife. What is sadder still is that her parents are not discouraging this violent behavior (Willard teen shoots and scores with basketball, hunting bow, 12/26).

Rather than destroying their natural affinity to animals, children should be taught to participate in outdoor activities such as camping, hiking and wildlife watching -- activities that can fill children with wonder and respect for the outdoors without having to commit violence upon wildlife.

Are you for real? Yes there are accidents in hunting and also "camping, hiking and widlife watching that fill our children with wonder and respect for the outdoors" until that accident happens. Or perhaps an accident with the same end results could happen by going to a skatepark, walking home from school, going to the mall or any one a number of ways any of us could be injured. I can guarantee you their is a very small percentage of us as hunters that teach our children "lets go hunting so we can kill something." For most of us it is about the outing and being with our families and friends. I can tell you from personal experience some of the best memories I have hunting as a child were unsucessful hunts by my family but a great outing for all. And if you are or have ever hunted you should know that part of our eithic is a clean and humane kill. By the way have you ever been to a slaughter house where that hamburger you are eating came from?
Perhaps a better reason for children to avoid hunting is that the sport tragically injures or kills children every year. In a random sampling of 200 hunting accidents that have been reported by the news media in 2007, 12 percent of hunting injuries and fatalities victimized children aged 17 and younger. I can think of no greater tragedy than losing a child to something as unnecessary as a hunting accident, yet this is a nightmare that becomes reality far too often.

The time has come to stop our children from becoming pawns of the weapons industry. To protect wildlife and the areas where they live while simultaneously promoting a more peaceful world, please visit http://www.cashwildwatch.org.

Joe Miele, Vice President

Committee to Abolish Sport Hunting

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/app ... /801070302

Comment --- There is a comment place available to educate the people who read this garbage.

·
Registered
67 Posts
And after you abolish sport hunting do you youthanize the overpopulated animals or just let them starve to death nice and slow like god intended?

·
Premium Member
11,689 Posts
McFishin said:
And after you abolish sport hunting do you youthanize the overpopulated animals or just let them starve to death nice and slow like God intended?
Good point, of course, did God really intend for that to happen, I think of (not to go biblical on you, but it is a very relevant point that further disproves/rebuts this nut's theory):
Genesis 1:28-30 (King James Version)
28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Loke said:
The smartest thing we can do is to teach our kids is to feed the bears.
Maybe we can feed those nutcases to the bears. :lol:

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
guess I am a horrible dad since my 5 year old is obsessed with hunting, and wants to kill anything we see in the wild :twisted: I love it, she loves camo and always wants to be in the mountains. GOod girl. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Hate to burst your bubble, I have two sons who are successful, good people,They have archery hunted with my wife and I sence they were in the womb. Now I have two grand-sons hunting with us. And guess what?? They are not Charlie Manson. Their great kids. They have been brought . up to respect what they hunt, to love the land, and to leave it the way they found it...Granted if your a slob hunter. chances are what comes around goes around,.But we as hunters are policing these people, It's not the thrill of the kill. If thats what gittin a person off. then they should take a good look at them selfs.. If we fill are tags as archers, we consider that a bonus..And if we don't , we rember the camp fires. the stories. the southern utah rain storms. bacon and eggs, being stuck in the mud. And the big ones who always seem to get away. ah! one last thing .. the love we have for one another as familey. So anti hunter you need to get a grip on your self and not around the throats of are young hunters..

·
Registered
130 Posts
Millions of years of evolution to put us as the top predator and some "liberal fruitloops" want to suppress it! :evil: You cannot please every idiot on the face of the earth! We all might as well become vegitarians and save the suffering of the poor defenseless animals! Oh, wait.......maybe the fruit trees and vegatables feel pain from the harvest! :mrgreen: What are we going to do?!?!?! PANIC/CRISIS!!!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yet those who hunted in Ohio probably contributed six times the funds to conservation and habitat development. :roll:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts