Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
thats a pretty good brand. let us know if you are going to be shooting over decoys or pass shooting?If your going to be shooting over decoys i would go with the mod it will still hold a good pattern out to about 40 yards. if your pass shooting i would go with the full.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
I shoot mod out of both of my guns. I dont go any tigher then those. beside my pattenmaster it holds a little tighter pattern for a little futher. IT up to you what you want to shoot.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Hit up Bug Doc for the real scoop on what should work for you.... also, MP probably isn't too far off. If you're shooting over dekes and you have an IC choke, try patterning on paper with it and your factory modified. Whatever gives you the best pellet coverage on your target at say 40 yards is what you should use in your gun. I have an IC choke but I've only put it in a couple times.... I may try it before I go to more restriction. What gun are you shooting anyway?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Before you do anything, pattern your gun. How can you know what to change if you don't have a base line to start from? An 870 with a stock modified choke is all I have shot for over a decade and it works great for the shooting I do (usually in the 25-35 yd range, never over 45-50 and even those are rare). Different shot sizes and shell brands play into it as well. A choke tube is not a cure all. Patterning your gun and lots of practice are far more important. If you can't kill clays, you'll never kill ducks no matter what you're shooting.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
adamb said:
i am shooting a remington 870 express
Thats what I shoot too with the factory Modified. There is an article in a Wildfowl Magazine where they talk to Sean Mann about his setup that he shoots. Granted, he's shooting geese a lot in Canada but he shoots a mess of ducks too and he has either three or four (I believe) 870's.... thats his shotgun of choice and he shoots his set up with Patternmaster tubes and Kent Fasteel. Besides the Patternmaster, thats what I shoot out of my gun and its worked great for me so far. Misses are on me, not my gun, the shells or the tube I have in. Pattern your gun with the factory choke and a couple different brands of shells and just see what works best out of your gun.... thats really the best thing to do because that'll be a lot cheaper than dropping a wad of cash on a new tube only to have it not make much difference for you..... that being said, I guess if you buy it from Cabelas.... they'll let you take it back if you're unhappy.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
If you are going to spend the $$ on an aftermarket choke I would suggest getting an extended choke. I have found that I get noticably more even, dense patterns with my extended vs. my factory flush chokes. I would also suggest going with a IC. I have been shooting a Mod for years. Just yesterday I put in my IC for the first time and really like it. On paper it seems to be a little too open for my liking buy on ducks it sure worked well. My furthest shot was about 35 yds and my closest about 15. I don't see myself going back to the Mod.

Before you do anything I woud also suggest you pattern your gun with the provided factory chokes. One of them may work great for you.

JMO

·
Registered
30 Posts
Adam,
It sounds like you might be alittle frustrated with shooting right now. You really should do what all the others have suggested and that is pattern your gun on paper with the chokes that you have now and with some of the shells you have been or will be shooting with. Take the time and pay attention to how things pattern, just do it by pacing off 30 yards and see what happens.
I shoot a nova and have a patternmaster also. I keep finding myself coming back to my factory IC. Last night I went 6 ducks with 6 shells, which is not too bad. Of course they were all fairly close range over decoys but that is exactly what we want. I used my extended choke on Saturday and had mixed results. That choke seems to work well when I jump shoot or pass shoot with longer shots because it patterns tighter at further distance.
Do you start to see the relationship between chokes and patterns etc? Once you understand this your shooting will improve. Then you will have to work on lead and shot selection! Nobody has all the answers which is why we keep coming out and getting humbled by these silly birds.

Keep trying and asking questions. You will get better with experience. :wink:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts