Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's something I found out cruising around on the internet today... found it pretty interesting to hear the guy talk about his hunting himself. I'd read the books and articles but hadn't ever heard him actually give an interview. I'll see what kind of other thought provoking things I can come up with and post them here.

http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/features ... huckadams/

Make sure you check out the bonus questions he answers at the bottom of the page... its pretty good stuff.

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
Chuck is as good of an bowhunter as there is, no doubt about it. I am not a huge Chuck fan, but he does get big animals on the ground. I was able to have a 2-3 hour chat with Chuck a few years back, we had fun swapping stories, but we never could agree on one thing, whether or not 400+" bulls can be called into bow range, even AFTER I showed him video footage of it being done on PUBLIC land. I do believe he is one of the good guys in the biz, but I also believe 'mulletman' is too, so take it for what it's worth. 8)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Sound pretty level headed to me, I don't dislike the dude, good info RRiverratt! Good read, thanks. I would have to think over a couple of his comments, in particular long shots. Pretty interesting Fred Bear shot a deer at 60 yards with his longbow, and never got any critisism. Makes you think how many shots at a live animal you would have to take in order to land one. It's obviously possible but we are definatly educating animals and soon many of deer will be string jumping second nature on the Wasatch.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I like this quote by Chuck regarding a long shot:

So I think it really boils down to what an individual person can do. It's a mistake to just zero-in on shooting distance because there are other factors just as important that I don't hear anybody ever talking about. For example; animal attitude. If a deer is wild and alert, ears cupped back, and if it smells a rat - you don't want to shoot at that deer even if it's 20 yards away. If there's intervening foliage that might deflect your arrow, you don't want to shoot the animal even if it's 10 yards away. If you have clear shot at a very relaxed animal, why not take the shot if you know you can take it?

I agree there are limits as to what distance a shot becomes unethical, but I feel those limits are established by the situation and the individuals abilities. I have taken 3 deer at distances of 55 - 60 yards and if given the opportunity, would take those shots again. I would have attempted to get closer if I could but the deer were in a place where I could not get closer, yet they were unaware of my presence and the shooting conditions were ideal. So "why not take the shot if I know I can take it?" I agree with you Hogan that there are hunters who are adversly educating animals by taking shots they should not take.

·
Registered
244 Posts
very enlightening he seems like a real nice guy, and would be great to hunt with, if he didnt run ya into the ground. seems like he hunts very hard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts