Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
I cant wait to get out! I am wildly unsuccessful at chukar hunting but, I think this is my year!! :grin::grin: If i'm not you guys will here about it. Thank God they have solid proof on this claim.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Being relatively new to chukar hunting my experience is limited, but after a few times walking right up to a covey that a dog was pointing without seeing them until I was 15-20 feet away I have come to realize that having a dog that knows chukar is almost a necessity.

The only other option is to take advantage of that early morning feeding behavior the article talks about. The first covey of the day is always doing exactly that.

·
1,666 Posts
Being relatively new to chukar hunting my experience is limited, but after a few times walking right up to a covey that a dog was pointing without seeing them until I was 15-20 feet away I have come to realize that having a dog that knows chukar is almost a necessity.

The only other option is to take advantage of that early morning feeding behavior the article talks about. The first covey of the day is always doing exactly that.
There are placing in Idaho that you can road hunt them, but other than that you'll probably need a good dog or need to get lucky.

·
Registered
9,950 Posts
I found a bunch of dead chuckers out on the dove hunt... someone shot a bunch and left them. Told the DWR officer there when we got checked and he just shrugged and drove off. I really dont blame him, how could you ever really investigate that.

-DallanC

·
Administrator
7,918 Posts
I hear that if you go in the bathroom, turn off the lights, and say "devil bird" three times, a chucker will appear in the mirror.

I don't know if its true, I'm too afraid to try for fear that I might shoot my mirror.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Sounds like a good year, always enjoyed the stories about the glory days of 2006. Wish I would have started hunting them earlier. Looking forward to having some glory days myself. Guess I should set some goals, am thinking over thirty days for chukars this season, average three per hunt, and shoot 50%....maybe 40% :D. Aim low, pick one

·
Registered
340 Posts
I like how the state politicians pump up the bird #'s, deer, elk etc...#'s right before each season to ramp up the sales....what a joke!!

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like how the state politicians pump up the bird #'s, deer, elk etc...#'s right before each season to ramp up the sales....what a joke!!
I don't know how they count other upland birds, but I know they get a fairly accurate count with chukars when they fly over the areas that hold the little devils.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Ya, they are easy to count when they are doing it on Antelope Island...... It's propaganda!
--I agree the #'s are probably up, but the state putting out articles like this....as the did with grouse, & deer as well is an attempt to ramp up sales & revenue.
--the state also have cow elk control permits for the Henry Mtns....???!!! Pitiful!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
You need to see chuckars? I suggest taking a drive in the subdivision south of eaglewood golf course in North Salt lake. They are everywhere and are huge because they have so much to eat. My dog's love chasing them, too bad they don't make it into the mountains often for you to hunt them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Great Day to day. Got into some nice coveys and the dog did great even not being worked all year. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I found a single that was probably an egg a few months ago. He should taste really good.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts