Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey-

Just got some good response from a forum member regarding antlerless elk. But I have a question-

I remember reading somewhere that hunting City Creek cyn. requires a special hunting access permit. Is this correct?
I know of a couple of different routes to get into the canyon, and that I must be at least a mile from any road or structure if shooting a rifle. I've got my proclamation right here, but can't seem to verify the access permit question.

Secondly, regarding weapon choice-

I've got an old Enfield '06 that's plenty for a cow, but is a real heavy SOB to lug around, and I plan to hoof it quite a ways in. I stoke it with 165 gr ballistic tips @ 2800 fps.
My favorite rifle is my single shot .30-30 that I load 180 gr Speer Mag-tips at about 2150 fps. After initial sight-in, I aimed it at an old cottonwood stump about 14" in diameter. At 100 yards, it blew a hole the size of an orange out the back. See no evidence of under-expansion. It weighs right around six pounds. Many would say it's underpowered for elk, but I'd like to find out. Hmm. I may have just answered my own question.
Also, my Hawken Carbine is just begging for it's first blood- if I used that, I may be able to take advantage of an opportunity closer to the trailhead. Opinions?

·
Registered
801 Posts
The permits are only valid during the general any weapon deer hunt. There are even quite a few restrictions on what you can do up there with a permit. So, it may be a difficult thing to get in there from the bottom on your antlerless hunt. If you really want to hunt that area you are probably stuck with going in a different way. The only other thing you may try is calling someone in charge of the canyon or water treatment plant and trying to get permission.

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
WOW, El Matador is alive! Welcome back from the abyss! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
Looks like Cody has some good hang time. :shock:

·
Registered
200 Posts
City Creek is a watershed owned by Salt Lake City Corp. The only hunting they allow in the canyon is during the general rifle deer hunt and you can only hunt above North Fork Canyon with the proper permit.

All other hunting in the canyon would only be allowed by permission from SLC corp only. Good luck.

John

·
Registered
623 Posts
El, when I told you to take the bull by the horns, I had something a little different in mind.

On the access, check and double check, sorry I don't know the rules for that canyon but do know that we as hunters want to be known as those that play by the rules and any infractions intentional or not does not bode well for future opportunities.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I don't think you can hunt elk in City Creek at all, but the best thing to do would be to get it from the horse's mouth. The horse is at: Salt Lake City Watershed Management (801-483-6705)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts