Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone prefer to hunt in Clear and Sunny or Cloudy. I have had mixed experience with different conditions. It seems cold and sunny with wind have been the best. What do you think?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I had an interesting experience the other day. I was hunting some ice with a small opening and there were no shortage of ducks. I was sitting right in the water on the edge of the ice with complete white camo, even my face. The day was partly cloudy. I noticed when I was in full sunshine all species of ducks were coming right into the dekes. When the clouds covered up the sun, most of the ducks came in as usual except the mallards. They would almost always flair at 100 to 60 yards when the sun was covered up. I know this is just one observation on one day. But I definitely preferred it when the sun was out.

·
Registered
75 Posts
cool, sunny bluebird days with just enough air moving to put a slight ripple on the water, i hate stomrms cloudy days and wind!!

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Windy Windy Windy I hunt mostly big open water so I have to have wind or the birds just raft up out of range. I feel like I can position myself better cus I know how the ducks will make a final approach, well most the time. :wink:

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Tealboy said:
cool, sunny bluebird days with just enough air moving to put a slight ripple on the water, i hate stomrms cloudy days and wind!!
+1, unless I'm jumpshooting... then it doesn't matter. 8)

·
Registered
741 Posts
I like the cold and clear also. They say that the glare on the water from the sun makes it harder for the birds to notice imperfections in your deeks or your set up. An overcast day without rain, snow, fog etc. makes it easier for the birds to see.

Just what I've heard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts