Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry, there are no pics to share in this post.

Sunday morning was cold. 10 - 11 degrees F.
We loaded in the truck and took a drive. The river through Circleville canyon was pretty icy, and brown.
The river in Kingston Canyon was pretty icy, but clearer. We decided to leave it for later, and let it warm a bit.
The river in Black Canyon looked pretty good - but we also kept going.
The river in John's Valley looked icier than we hoped. But we decided to try it anyway. I went off without my phone -- the text messages were blowing up, and I didn't want to bother...

Expectations were low. With that much ice, we just didn't think fishing would be great. And, it really wasn't. Oh, sure, I landed a very unexpected 19" brown trout that was shaped like a giant brook trout out of the first hole I fished -- a male with a big hooked jaw, humped back, broad shoulders, and a stocky tail. That was a surprise! Richard nailed a nice 18" brown a few minutes later. Dad had some bumps, but just couldn't get a hook set. It's hard to fish when you have 3 feet of ice-cubes hanging from your fly line! it was cold!

Once that sun came out, it warmed nicely. It turned out to be quite a pleasant day. We worked our way back from John's Valley towards Kingston Canyon hitting a few different spots, picking up a couple fish here and a couple there. No skunks today for anyone -- rainbows count! Nothing spectacular. But it sure was a nice day to get out and enjoy some moving water.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, OC is low. much of the lake was frozen, but it looked like open water at the northern end (which would be mid-south end with normal water level). the dam bay, and out across to the Sevier inlet all looked capped -- but nobody was on it that we could see.

Reactions: ns450f
1 - 3 of 3 Posts