Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears that the interest has died along with byu's national title hopes! Kidding aside, this will be an interesting week for some teams.

So here's a couple games of interest...

#3 Utah @ USC - Love the Ute's, but this game worries me greatly. USC still is one of the most talented teams around. Just have had some serious bad coaching. Utah played them shortly after they fired Kiffin a couple years back and USC was able to circle the waggons. I am picking with my heart, and hope they pull through. Love Utah's defense... And I would be surprised if they play that bad on special teams like last week again. Utah 38 USC 27

#20 Cal @ UCLA - UCLA is struggling defensively. Cal will bring a ton of pressure which I think works against the Bruins and their young quarterback. Cal 41 UCLA 28

Colorado @ Oregon State - This ought to be a great game! Battle of the winless P12 teams. Which team will break through.... Personally, I think Colorado is the better team, but they couldn't even score on Oregon. I'll take the home team. Oregon State 31 Colorado 21

Western Kentucky @ #5 LSU - Honestly, threw this one in for LL. Though looking at WKU, they can sling it. They did beat Vandy on the road. Not sure if that is very impressive, but Vandy is SEC. I'll take the home team again with probably another big performance from Fournette. LSU 45 WKU 28

Wagner @ BYU - LOL! Honestly, what will the announced attendance be, and will Wagner score more than 3?

I am going with an announced attendance of 48,437 (Even though I think it'll be less than 40,000) and I believe BYU shuts out the Seahawks...

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
I'm picking USC to upset my beloved Utes by 10. We've been skating on thin ice for a while and I believe this weekend the ice breaks.

The Hilltoppers are going to give my Tigers a run for the money in the first half then we should pull away in the 2nd half. LSU will be caught looking ahead to Nick Satan and the laundry detergent boys during the first half then realize they have to win and come out and play LSU ball the 2nd half.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
Utah beats USC. USC is a mess right now, from the top down. Utah wins.
Cal beats UCLA.
Colorado - Oregon State - Meaningless. Don't care.
LSU wins. The rest of their games. They'll be in the play-off.

BYU scrimmage - My only hope is that they run Mangum out there for the first quarter, and then let him rest the hammy. It should be viewed as a bye week for the starters so guys can get rested/healed up from nagging stuff at this point into the season. BYU's 3rds string should roll up 40+ points if they want to.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
byu still has a football team??? Well I think that's just neat...... The Utes always have me worrying, it could go either way with the mess USC is in, they could come out ready to prove themselves etc... I think the Utes win in a nail biter.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
Utah is in a really good spot. The only loss they'll have before the 12Pack title game will be to Arizona. The Wildcats have a way of being spoilers. But Utah will still end up playing Standford for the conference title game. Win, and they're in the play-off. Lose, and they'll be in the Rose Bowl. And hey, good for the Utes. It's a good year to be a UtahUteFan. Enjoy the ride.

As for BYU - they are doing what they do. Winning games they should, and splitting the first four, like they should. They are playing all over the country in front of lots of loyal strong and true fans, and they are entertaining to watch. I wish my fellow Cougar Fans would just enjoy the ride instead of out of reach expectations and longing for the good old days. There really is some entertaining football getting played in Provo and pining away for Steve Young causes one to enjoy it, enjoy the now. It is good to appreciate the past, but enjoy the now. I'm guessing there aren't a whole lot of UteFans wishing they had Ron McBride or Uban Liar around, or wishing Scott Mitchell was under center. CougarFans should learn from that.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Utah vs. team dysfunctional; I kind of feel like Louisiana about this, although the Utes could come out and drub them too. USC wins a close one and I'm sure hoping I'm wrong. A loss isn't a catastrophe either. It will get the Utes more focused and there won't be so much hype to have to filter out.

Cal vs, UCLA, Cal by a touchdown.

Colorado vs Oregon St. The beefalos get their first Pac-12 win in 2 years. 34-30

Western Kentucky vs LSU. Fournette is resting by the middle of the 3rd quarter. 45-7

The Wagner power painters vs the cougs; I predict plenty of good seats will still be available and that LES will be about as quiet as the Provo Temple grounds by the 4th quarter due to early departures. Wake me when the Aggies and Mizzou are up on the schedule.

No love for the aggies? They beat suck dog st. by 10 points and put a stranglehold on the Mountainwest race.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm very scared for the Utes. USC has a lot of talent and could really surprise them. I'm thinking Utah will win, but it'll be closer than they'd like.
Don't care about Colorado vs Oregon St, or LSU vs WK.
Hopefully BYU plays Hoge at QB, it would be nice to see if he even has any potential or if they need to look into getting someone else as backup.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
So Captain, what about the Aggies? Can they beat the Aztecs this week?

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Well Cal got their rear ends handed to them last night...upset weekend????

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
No USU Football after last weeks win!?! Honestly, I just can't take this thread seriously.
These threads are super casual. Nothing formal. Just a few guys that like to talk football. Next week, I'd suggest you start the discussion, and include the aggies. That would be GREAT. It just seems that whomever starts the threads just includes the games that are interesting to them, with no intended slight. It's just a fun thing. Your Aggies had a great win over the Spud-Donks last weekend. GREAT! Love to see that. And I hope they do well against Suck Dog tomorrow. Thing is - seems lots of us just like to talk college football. So please - don't be offended - don't take the post that seriously - but join in sharing the love of the game. It's all good.

Go Aggies! and Cougars! and Utes! and whoever plays Alafrickin'bama!

·
Registered
51 Posts
There is a reason USC is picked to win this game. The run ends for Utah tomorrow. It's quite the snoozer of match-ups this weekend. Good week to get in the outdoors as well, so it all works out.

Reactions: GaryFish

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
So USC beat utes.
BYU had a scrimmage.
Aggies? What happened? I thought they could get Suck dog State?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So USC beat utes.
BYU had a scrimmage.
Thats the beauty of the Pac12 or any P5 conference.... You can lose a game and still have a shot at something to play for. Utah is in great shape still! Though I don't believe Utah can compete in a playoff with Wilson and the inconsistant O-line play. I love the Ute's, but their offense scares me at times! Having said that, I'm not sure they lose again. UCLA could be a tough match-up depending on what UCLA team shows up. Not sure Arizona is that team this year....

Go Utes!

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Well at least ONE team from Utah showed up for the game this past weekend...? C'mon man, the aggies lost ?

Congrats to the kitties from Utah County !!!!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I thought all 3 games were brutal to watch this weekend, including the BYU win. I really wasn't expecting the Utah State loss after how good they looked against Boise. USC winning didn't surprise me as much, but I thought it would be closer. Also surprised the Utes only gave the ball to Devontae Booker 14 times.

·
1,669 Posts
So USC beat utes.
BYU had a scrimmage.
San Diego State essentially just lined up and ran the ball and the aggies were helpless to stop it.

They will probably play again in the MWC title game, unless USU drops another game (potentially at Air Force).

·
1,669 Posts
Thats the beauty of the Pac12 or any P5 conference.... You can lose a game and still have a shot at something to play for. Utah is in great shape still! Though I don't believe Utah can compete in a playoff with Wilson and the inconsistant O-line play. I love the Ute's, but their offense scares me at times! Having said that, I'm not sure they lose again. UCLA could be a tough match-up depending on what UCLA team shows up. Not sure Arizona is that team this year....

Go Utes!
The Utes will need a lot of help to get into the playoff.

They will need 11 out of the 15 things below to happen in order to make the playoffs in my opinion.

• Ohio State - needs to lose twice or to a non ranked opponent
  • LSU -needs to lose twice or to a non ranked opponent.
  • Baylor - needs to lose twice or to a non ranked opponent
  • TCU - needs to lose twice or to a non ranked opponent
  • Oklahoma State -needs to lose twice or to a non ranked opponent
  • Oklahoma - needs to lose again
  • Clemson - needs to lose to someone other than Florida State
  • Florida State - needs to beat Clemson in sloppy fashion.
  • Michigan State - will need to lose to a school other than Ohio State
  • Alabama - needs to lose again.
  • Stanford - needs to win out and lose to Utah in the Pac 12 title game.
  • Notre Dame - needs to lose again.
  • Iowa - needs to drop a game.
  • Florida - needs to drop a game
  • Utah Needs to win out and win out convincingly.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I never bought into the Ute's #3 ranking in fact, I see them somewhere around 16. Wilson needs to go. He has caused the Utes just as many losses as he has wins.

On some of the other sports sites the Ute fans are really dissing on BYU for playing Wagner. I'm not sure how it all works but they say the Wagner game was tied into getting Missouri on the schedule. The real question is not why BYU would schedule them, but why would Wagner schedule BYU? Well, my understanding is Wagner will receive a hefty sum of money that will benefit their program for years to come.

I'm somewhat fascinated with Utah fans dissing on BYU for Playing Wagner when they have played Weber State in the recent past. If making fun of BYU for playing Wagner makes Ute fans feel better about getting manhandled by USC, I think they need to seek professional help.

I listened to post game comments by the Wagner coach and he said it was a great experience for his team to come west and play. He mentioned that BYU was very gracious in helping them see some sights--things these kids might not have seen. Win or lose, I think Wagner came west for more than football, which says a lot about that program.

I have also heard comments about Utah's Hatfield mouthing off before game, during game, and after game. Something about how he could cover anyone in the nation. Well, Shu Shu's 8 catches for 140+ yards should have shut him up, but no, motor mouth still running. Where did Utah find this guy?

Covey is fun to watch. Hope he can stay healthy. Imagine what he will do after his mission.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts