Utah Wildlife Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11,158 Posts
The smaller coolers work better because you have less area to cool down. Same as a big chest freezer. Unless you have the stuff to fill it up, it works harder to keeping the "free space" frozen. At least that's the way I see it, I could be wrong.
You are correct... thats what the extra ice / frozen 2ltr bottles are for :) Ice is cheap... put more bags in.

-DallanC

·
Registered
30 Posts
I called their north salt lake outlet store yesterday. 5 year manufacture warranty. Meaning handles, hinges, latches and defects. There is nothing wrong with this cooler except it doesn't hold ice.

With the double gaskets its definitely holding ice better.
Definitely why I try to buy as much from Costco as possible.

Bought a Coho 55qt, currently priced at $190 $139 - not sure if that's break the bank or not but I tracked and got mine on sale and it performs flawlessly. And, if it ever goes bad, Costco will give me my money back...even if it's years later. There's a story of multiple kitchen table returns in this tale somewhere.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I've been looking at those coho coolers. The seal on the coho is a much better design than on the lifetime coolers. The lifetime is built tuff but the seal leaks to much air.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The Coho cooler gets a big thumbs up. Fits in the car and holds ice. In all fairness I did use a new product to me along with ice. Cooler Shock. I bought it from Amazon. I bought the large size 10"x14" bags that you ad water and freeze. It worked great!

Costco does have the Coho's back in stock.
Thank for the heads up Moezer!

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
I bought one and used it for the first time yesterday. I was very impressed with the ice retention. It seemed to outperform my old Igloo 60qt, but there was some cloud cover, I fished earlier so it was cooler, and I came home early (for me). I plan to do a more rigorous test someday, comparing it to the Igloo 60qt, and new Igloo Marine Ultra 120qt. I'll leave them all in my basement, which as at a fairly constant temperature and out of the sun.

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
I put ice in my Lifetime 77 quart cooler Sunday morning. Here it is Wednesday afternoon and still have ice. I hauled this cooler around on my SxS in the heat all day Sunday and Monday and it’s been in my hot garage since Monday night, I like this cooler a lot. I’ll take the 55 quart Lifetime next time and compare results.
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Bumper
Fluid Automotive lighting Rectangle Liquid Gas

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
My old 60qt Igloo broke, so I'm going to test the 55qt Coho against my new 120qt Igloo. The Igloo weighs 18#, the Coho 28#. I've made two blocks of ice, 10# each. I'll put the blocks in each cooler and check them each day.

Rob, you might do the same. Put the exact same amount of ice into each cooler, put both coolers somewhere inside, out of the sun, so you ensure environmental issues don't confound the test, then check them daily. I'll probably weigh the ice from each cooler to figure out the efficiencies after 4-5 days.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Rob I'm glad the the 77qt is working out for you. I've thought about buying one. Because I could use a mid size cooler also. I like the design of the lifetime coolers & especially the latches. Here's the kicker. The seal on the 55qt is different than your 77qt cooler. I'm glad you posted pics. On your 77qt the seal is in the lid like most upgraded coolers. On the 55qt its a round neoprene rod the wraps around the ridge/lip on the cooler. You can pull it right off! Basically a $hitty design that pretty much sucks. If the lifetime 55qt had a seal like the 77qt or a Yeti or the Coho or most other brands it would probably be an awesome cooler.

Good hell I've beat this subject to death lol

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Back before the modern super coolers we consistently ran what were standard coolers at the time for 7-9 days on river trips. Meals were divided out for one day per cooler as far as possible and each cooler was assigned a day. Each one was set up for supper one night and breakfast and lunch the next day.

The object was to not open a cooler until it was needed to keep everything fresh. Everything about past day four was completely frozen. It became a competition to see who could have ice-cream on day 8.
Block ice, pre frozen food, pre-frozen coolers (we had a walk in freezer to help) and duct tape seals and wet towels were the way to go. We regularly enjoyed ice cream on the last day.

You want to get in every hour for a cold drink the time will be seriously degraded.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
I started my test Wednesday evening at 7:00. I plan to check them at 72 hours, so tomorrow night, then every 24 hours. As middlefork said, how one uses the cooler, pre-chilling, loading it with pre-frozen stuff really improves the performance. I'm doing my test just to compare the performance of these coolers, holding all other factors constant. It won't change anything, but I'm curious. I'll choose which cooler to use based on capacity.

I fish off the west coast of Washington each year, and will be leaving pretty soon. I've been using the Igloo Quick and Cool coolers for many years, a 120qt in the bow plus a 150qt on the ****pit deck. They generally hold ice for 4-5 days. We vacuum seal and freeze our fish, and for the trip home we pack it all up and put dry ice on top. One year we did well on tuna in addition to our usual salmon, rockfish, etc, and brought back over 200# of fillets. No problem. This year I'll take both the 55qt Coho and the 120qt Igloo Marine Ultra.

·
Administrator
21,923 Posts
I have two RTIC 55qt ones that are my usual go to coolers. I've found that it takes a bag of ice to cool it down. Once cold, it will hold ice for a long time. Especially if you aren't opening it all the time.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
You can park a vehicle in yer garage? How neat is that!

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Well, my experiment wasn't very helpful. I checked the coolers at 72 hours. They were in a mostly dark room, maybe 70F. I checked the 120qt Igloo first. No ice left at all. None, after being kept in ideal conditions. I was quite surprised, as I would have expected maybe 50% ice retention. Weird. Then I checked the 55qt Coho, and I thought this should be good. But there was no ice in it, either. Zero, nothing but water in both coolers, after just three days.

Obviously, my methodology was lacking. It's not clear to me that there's a good way to test two coolers of different capacities. Maybe loading them with ice in the ratio of their capacities? Like 40# in the 120qt, 20# in the 55qt? I'll repea the test. Someday. ;)

21 - 35 of 35 Posts