Utah Wildlife Forum banner
61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
I'd buy the coho simply because it has a fish on it.

I'm trying to see what the lid hinges look like on those coho coolers. Anyone know how the hinges are compared to a Rtic / Yeti?

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Much <3 for Coho salmon. Sadly the run was late this year.

-DallanC
The bite was hot last week out of La Push. At least three times they took the line out of my hand as I was trying to put it in the downrigger clip. We had to release lots of 10# wild fish.

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Yea, it was the big salmon derby weekend, and the fish being brought in was depressing. The main run of Coho were still well out in the ocean, our last day we happened across the leading edge working their way in. Halibut was on fire though... several times we had 3 on at a time on the boat.

-DallanC

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
looks just like a yeti!

(y)

·
Registered
419 Posts
I was going to buy that Coho also at Costco, I didn’t find any good reviews online about the ice retention. Keep us updated on how it works out. I had an RTIC 105qt and sold it. Impossible to move when loaded. I figured I could have two of the smaller 50-60qt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
I just bought my second Coho yesterday. Because I liked the first one so well.

Your right about the weight of the big 100+ qt coolers fully loaded. I like the idea of two 50's.

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
I ended up picking up another small cooler to strap to my ATV.

I bought an Engel 7.5qt cooler. Been testing it for a couple days now.

I’m just starting day 2 (about 30 hours into testing now) and I still have ice. I don’t think it’ll make it a full 48 hours though but this is promising to keep my drinks cold for a day ride

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
Plant Plant community Tree Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Took the Engel out for its maiden voyage over the weekend. Kept ice all day into the next day. Pretty happy with it compared to my ol red Igloo 7qt.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
View attachment 153269

Took the Engel out for its maiden voyage over the weekend. Kept ice all day into the next day. Pretty happy with it compared to my ol red Igloo 7qt.
The smaller Igloos don't hold ice well. It's the ratio of surface area to volume. Larger coolers have a lower ratio, so are better in that regard.

Reactions: Bax*

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
The smaller Igloos don't hold ice well. It's the ratio of surface area to volume. Larger coolers have a lower ratio, so are better in that regard.
yeah. Problem was that I couldn’t strap a larger cooler to my wheeler. So I’ve been hunting for a small one that holds ice for long enough that I can have a cold drink at the end of the day.

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
Thanks for sharing, Bax. It is tough to find the smaller versions that will keep the ice and drinks cold for the day. We don't always have room for the larger coolers that are more effective. I will have to check that one out! I appreciate the heads up.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
yeah. Problem was that I couldn’t strap a larger cooler to my wheeler. So I’ve been hunting for a small one that holds ice for long enough that I can have a cold drink at the end of the day.
I think my Coho 55qt holds ice better than my Igloo 60qt did. But my Igloo 120qt and 150qt do fine if they're kept out of the sun. The rotomolded coolers that size are too heavy.

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
Thanks for sharing, Bax. It is tough to find the smaller versions that will keep the ice and drinks cold for the day. We don't always have room for the larger coolers that are more effective. I will have to check that one out! I appreciate the heads up.
You bet.
They also make a live bait version of the same cooler that comes with a battery powered air pump if anyone needs something like that

·
Registered
All of it. Hiking is terrible without a gun or rod in my hands.
832 Posts
You bet.
They also make a live bait version of the same cooler that comes with a battery powered air pump if anyone needs something like that

I really like it. Have one and use it regularly. Because I can use live bait.

61 - 80 of 87 Posts