Utah Wildlife Forum banner
2981 - 2993 of 2993 Posts

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
The president says the pandemic is over. That’s how I’m operating.

I never used to get a flu shot until I got influenza A back in 2012. It was the most miserable 48 hours of my life. I get a flu shot every year now. I will continue to get flu shots each year. My doc recommends it, and I don’t want to feel the way I did a decade ago. Vaccinations have never scared me, they still don’t. I’m still alive and the 5G on my new phone hasn’t turned me into a zombie. Yearly covid-related boosters, if recommended by my doctor, don’t bother me. If my doc doesn't recommend getting it, I won’t.

I see masks out and about every once in a while. Doesn’t bother me. Do what you want to do. I think we are well beyond the government trying to tell us what we have to do here, hence, the pandemic being over.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
What are everybody's thoughts at this stage? I recently found myself in one of those corners of reddit filled with college brainwash...er...educated Marxists and they act like the covid problem is as widespread and dangerous now as it has ever been and everybody who isn't still living in a mask and getting a booster every other day is a selfish idiot who is trying to kill everybody. They seem to think we should all still be locked down or working from home still and corporations are treating us like human sacrifices to keep the profits rolling in. I don't know how some of these people even function lol.

My double vaxxed and boosted dad just came down with it last week. My wife and I who are raw dogging it through life with no anti-covid secret sauce flowing through our veins were around him and didn't catch chit. Maybe already having had covid is better immunity than the vax? My employer STILL requires biweekly covid tests, so I would know if I caught it from my dad even if I was asymptomatic. Here in another week I will be traveling through some pretty blue country on my way over to Estes Park and on down to Denver and I'm curious to see how many more people I will see still rocking a face diaper. I still see a few in Utah County, but only a very few.

I am too lazy to go through my posts on this thread, but it seems now to be what I thought it might about a year ago. Rona is still around, annual vaccination is a good idea, especially for those with risk factors, but it isn't much of a disruption anymore. In my circle, even the cautious and/or liberal folks have toned things down and settled in to some semblance of "normal". There will always be nutjobs on the left similar to what we demonstrably see on the right. life goes on.

2 more thoughts.

1. Remember, that some of those folks wearing masks may have a very good reason to do so, and it may not just be regarding Rona. As my wife has progressed through cancer therapy, she has worn a mask quite a bit. Now we are past the worst of it, she doesn't anymore when going out. But when she was, it wasn't that she was some Rona zealot.

2. My wife and I will get the new booster shortly. For her, it is obvious why. And for me, since I don't want to bring anything extra home. Other than the shot though, I don't give Rona much of a second thought anymore. I can't say that it was a huge disruption though for me and the family while the pandemic was raging.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
I am too lazy to go through my posts on this thread, but it seems now to be what I thought it might about a year ago. Rona is still around, annual vaccination is a good idea, especially for those with risk factors, but it isn't much of a disruption anymore. In my circle, even the cautious and/or liberal folks have toned things down and settled in to some semblance of "normal". There will always be nutjobs on the left similar to what we demonstrably see on the right. life goes on.

2 more thoughts.

1. Remember, that some of those folks wearing masks may have a very good reason to do so, and it may not just be regarding Rona. As my wife has progressed through cancer therapy, she has worn a mask quite a bit. Now we are past the worst of it, she doesn't anymore when going out. But when she was, it wasn't that she was some Rona zealot.

2. My wife and I will get the new booster shortly. For her, it is obvious why. And for me, since I don't want to bring anything extra home. Other than the shot though, I don't give Rona much of a second thought anymore. I can't say that it was a huge disruption though for me and the family while the pandemic was raging.
I gotcha. Sorry if I came off a little bit flippant to situations such as yours and your wife's. I just get a little wound up when I see all these armchair epidemiologists acting like people are pieces of trash for continuing on with life and not spending the rest of eternity with a muzzle on their faces. I understand there are a lot of immunocompromised people who don't want to take any risks still wearing masks. I think for some people, however, it has become part of their identity and leaving the house without a mask would be like leaving the house in a MAGA hat. How will their peers know that they are part of the good team without the constant virtue signaling?

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
I gotcha. Sorry if I came off a little bit flippant to situations such as yours and your wife's.
You didn't. It's all good.

One more thought though. In my acquaintances, I do know a fair number of medical folks. Political affiliation is across the spectrum. The huge majority of them do recommend the vaccination, but themselves are going on with their lives. I think that is a good model to follow. With respect to the "armchair epidemiologists", I suspect many of that crowd have as much credibility as Olibooger's bunch. I wouldn't let it get me riled up. Unless one is looking for a dose of cathartic partisan outrage, then it works great. ;)

·
Administrator
11,312 Posts
I think that the major problem with Covid is a long time behind us. However it will be with us for a very long time like most viruses.

I know of half a dozen people who have contacted it in the last 6 or so months. Their cases were quite mild and were handled with the pill that this available now and home rest, much like the flu. They all came out of it quite quickly and are back to normal

As for mask, if you want to wear them then do so. If you don't then don't. The only time that I have put a mask on is when walking into a business or Dr's office where they are still requiring a mask to be worn. There are not so many businesses but Dr offices seam to be hit and miss. My general practitioners office is a you decided what you want to do Most of their employees are wearing mask but it isn't required of the patients. I have a appointment with my asthma Dr next month and he is one that required everyone to be masked 5 months ago so I'll see if he still requires it or not.

I just pack a couple of mask in my vehicle just encase I need to wear one for where I am going.

Last June when I went to South Africa with a group of hunters there were a number in our group who just about didn't get into the country. They had the required documentation to get in as far as a vaccine or test but they didn't have a mask with them, and at the airport in Johannesburg where we entered the country everyone was required to be masked. I just by chance had a dozen or so extra mask with me that I just started to pass out to the ones who didn't have one. That could of put a quick end to their hunts since there was no place to purchase or get a mask as we walked up to the customs agents for entrance into the country.

·
Administrator
11,312 Posts
Wow, Critter, sounds like you really saved the day! That is crazy.
For some reason they had no idea that a different country would have different regulations and that it could ruin your stay there if you didn't adhere to their regulations.

I don't think that it would of been as bad as I described since those of us who had mask could of went in search of some inside the airport proper, but at 4am not that much was open. You just never know.

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
One thing I hope we all learn from this experience is that if you are sick (covid, cold, flu…I don’t care what) you stay home. That was always a bur in my saddle when people are sick as a dog heading into the office, church, school, etc. If you’re sick, stay home. I hope we’ve learned that.

Not holding my breath.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
My personal thoughts are mixed.

Life is pretty much normal aside from all the overcrowding. Wife and I are back to doing a weekly date, going out to lunch or dinner. I can't remember when I last wore a face diaper.

However, In the back of my mind, i'm waiting to see what crops up this flu season. Probably a new varient. May spread like wildfire, maybe not, but it will probably also be a milder variant then the last, which may just equate to another flu. I'm still checking the state website on the latest numbers and trends once in awhile, but it's not something I look at on a regular basis. But it bears mentioning, I do alot of this kind of thing, as there's a lot of crap going down in the world these days, and I feel like I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

As vaccination goes, I'm thinking I'll pass on any more. Wife made me get the J&J, and got boosted once with Phizer in the summer of last year before winter, but I think that's as far down the road on the vaccination bus as I'm going to go. I keep hearing about 25 year olds droping from heart attacks or increased incidences of blood clots through the grapevine. I figure at this point, I haven't burned out my immune system yet,. Also knowing the governments history with vaccines such as the anthrax shot they forced the military to do back in the late 90's - which they've since abandoned as it turned out to not be a good thing....... I think i'll pass on anymore and take my chances, especially if the strains are becoming milder.

Haven't caught it yet. (knock on wood) I avoided people even before the coof. I already didn't like being around a lot of people before, I get clausterphobic. So all the coof did was make me into more of a hermit then I already was.

2981 - 2993 of 2993 Posts