Utah Wildlife Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
If they are nocturnal, how come 90% or more of my trail cam pics are of them in the middle of the day over the last 15 years? I rarely get one at night. And the lions I’ve seen have been cruising around mid to late mornings… walking ridges and basins… wide open 🤔
I missed the word "Mostly". They for sure are out and about during the day but likely sleeping on a rock during the winter or in the shade during the summer. Houndsman don't target the evening to find tracks after the lions have wandered all day. They are out in the wee hours of the morning catching the tracks from the previous nights hunt. I have plenty of pictures of lions on my cameras during the day but plenty of them at night as well. The point wasn't to get nit picky on whether they are 100% nocturnal but that lions are very timid and like low light, and places where they can stay low key and out of sight.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I missed the word "Mostly". They for sure are out and about during the day but likely sleeping on a rock during the winter or in the shade during the summer. Houndsman don't target the evening to find tracks after the lions have wandered all day. They are out in the wee hours of the morning catching the tracks from the previous nights hunt. I have plenty of pictures of lions on my cameras during the day but plenty of them at night as well. The point wasn't to get nit picky on whether they are 100% nocturnal but that lions are very timid and like low light, and places where they can stay low key and out of sight.
Houndsmen don’t run hounds at night because the scent burns off during the day with the heat and sun. it’s easier to start dogs on a track that hasn’t been burned yet. And they don’t want to have to try to gather up dogs in the dark. They’d rather start doing it at noon when they can see what’s going on

·
Registered
170 Posts
Houndsmen don’t run hounds at night because the scent burns off during the day with the heat and sun. it’s easier to start dogs on a track that hasn’t been burned yet. And they don’t want to have to try to gather up dogs in the dark. They’d rather start doing it at noon when they can see what’s going on
That's weird that I ran hounds for so long and never understood the process. I had better find better houndsman to run with cause non of them understood either. 🤪😜

·
Registered
170 Posts
Bottom line Moose, it sounds like you are giving him better odds of finding a lion than I am. I think he is up in the night!. Oh never mind, if he was up in the night, he'd be more likely of catching them moving. haha

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Bottom line Moose, it sounds like you are giving him better odds of finding a lion than I am. I think he is up in the night!. Oh never mind, if he was up in the night, he'd be more likely of catching them moving. haha
Those tags aren’t impossible to fill. Improbable, yes. Impossible, no. Spend enough time behind glass in the right areas and you could get lucky

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
If your sitting and glassing for a cat, you better have someone watching your six! Odds are, they have been watching you longer than you've been looking for them. Sneaky critters and can appear and disappear like a ghost.

Cats will hunt and kill in the open areas. Similar to a house cat watching a bird and planning the sneak and chase. Bears on the other hand, kill in the wooded areas. If you come across a buried kill in the thicker timber, you best be looking for a bear that could be close.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I've had cat jerky - it was really good. Kind of a cross between pork and chicken.

In 20 years here in UT, I have seen 1 cat while hunting. He ran across a road and was gone in a flash. I'd say your odds of a S&S scenario would be very slim not almost none.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts