Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I put in for cougar the other day and I think I might have a chance this year (10 points going into the draw) and it got me thinking about caliber to utilize provided I am fortunate enough to draw and eventually get one.

For years I have dreamed of using my old 22 savage hi-power but, have recently thought about using my Judge (44 long colt). what say you folks that have hunted these critters before? Thanks

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Well I put in for cougar the other day and I think I might have a chance this year (10 points going into the draw) and it got me thinking about caliber to utilize provided I am fortunate enough to draw and eventually get one.

For years I have dreamed of using my old 22 savage hi-power but, have recently thought about using my Judge (44 long colt). what say you folks that have hunted these critters before? Thanks
You mean .45 Long Colt??

If you plan to hunt over hounds leave your .22 Hi Power home. Lions are short haired animals and the exit wound from a high velocity round at close range will likely create a hole that your taxidermist will struggle to conceal. Besides, a lion in a tree is a captive animal and you do not need a hi velocity round to dispatch it. I've seen plenty of lions taken with .22 LR with no ill effects as long as the shooter can place the bullet properly.

Given your choice, take the pistol.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I have seen them dispatched by Bruins and Wolverines for the past couple of weeks.
Yeah, but a Bruin is barely effective and a wolverine is WAY overkill apparently. In fact, if you use a wolverine, if there's anything left after the massacre, I bet your mount automatically looks less impressive and maybe even more like a kitten than a cougar. For sure there will be NO national respect and the Native American Utes will likely gloat that your cougar was always overrated...

I joke so I don't cry.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Yeah, but a Bruin is barely effective and a wolverine is WAY overkill apparently. In fact, if you use a wolverine, if there's anything left after the massacre, I bet your mount automatically looks less impressive and maybe even more like a kitten than a cougar. For sure there will be NO national respect and the Native American Utes will likely gloat that your cougar was always overrated...

I joke so I don't cry.
But but that wasn't the case always...remember back in 1984?:p

·
Registered
565 Posts
.22 mag does the trick. I hunted with a guy that used a .480 Ruger revolver with a scope... a little overkill if you ask me. The lion died instantly and got stuck 40 feet up a ponderosa. We were all cursing that gun as we took turns trying to climb up there to get it down.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
.22 mag does the trick. I hunted with a guy that used a .480 Ruger revolver with a scope... a little overkill if you ask me. The lion died instantly and got stuck 40 feet up a ponderosa. We were all cursing that gun as we took turns trying to climb up there to get it down.
I just have two words for you......chain saw;-)

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
Surely a husky couldn't do it or maybe even a pirate? I guess we will find out soon enough. I digress. Carry on.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You mean .45 Long Colt??

If you plan to hunt over hounds leave your .22 Hi Power home. Lions are short haired animals and the exit wound from a high velocity round at close range will likely create a hole that your taxidermist will struggle to conceal. Besides, a lion in a tree is a captive animal and you do not need a hi velocity round to dispatch it. I've seen plenty of lions taken with .22 LR with no ill effects as long as the shooter can place the bullet properly.

Given your choice, take the pistol.
Yes you are correct 45 Long Colt. Thanks for the advice, kinda what I thought but wanted some assurance from folks with more experience than I.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have a buddy who killed a lion in a tree with a .17 hmr and it was perfect. Very small entrance wound and no exit wound. The cat died very quickly.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
My brother and his hunting buddies kill wild pigs down south with .22WMR's. Head shot with the FMJ rounds, do not shoot HP's if shooing a head shot. Drops pigs in their tracks up to about 150 yards. The average size is around 200-250 but they have killed several pushing upwards of 500 pounds, and pigs have some pretty tough heads too.

Reactions: colorcountrygunner

·
JMgardner
418 Posts
My brother and his hunting buddies kill wild pigs down south with .22WMR's. Head shot with the FMJ rounds, do not shoot HP's if shooing a head shot. Drops pigs in their tracks up to about 150 yards. The average size is around 200-250 but they have killed several pushing upwards of 500 pounds, and pigs have some pretty tough heads too.
I hog hunt an area back in Alabama that only allows shotguns with squirrel shot or smaller or 22s. Dad and I have killed literally a couple hundred hogs in the last decades with our 22mags. And saying shoot fmj not hollow points is the smartest thing I've seen today

1 - 18 of 18 Posts