Utah Wildlife Forum banner

Cougar with Forehead Teeth!

4K views 42 replies 19 participants last post by  bowgy 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Very cool! Given the way the face is formed very early as a fetus(It sort of unfolds on it's self along two separate axis), driven by SHH gene, and regulated by thyroid function, there are a couple of things that come to mind.......I'll spare everyone though :mrgreen:

I'm going to have to look into the proper nomenclature for just what kind of bite you would call that............:wacko:

#6 ·
OK, OK, I'm pretty sure this is caused by the low buck to doe ratios in the area. Or possibly too many hunters(one in the same really), my other guess is weather, or the lack of a coyote bounty.......

But on a less serious note, the taxidermist is going to have a hell of a time with that.

#7 ·
#10 ·
Yeah, that too........

Dunkem, I'm so dry most times I can't tell when I'm joking or being serious, which is always.......or maybe that was Cleese.

#11 ·
Oh wait Iron Bear, probably not over population. Probably more like the population is too low, and they are suffering from genetic bottle necking..........I'm thinking one of these might be easier to prove than the other.

#21 ·
2,4-D is a herbicide, and herbicides are pesticides. Pesticide is an umbrella term for herbicide, insecticide, rodenticide, biocide, etc.

So yeah, 2,4-D, and about 40 other pesticides could cause this. And we are currently in a huge ramp up/plateau in pesticide use.

Here is how it would work:

2,4-D(and many others) is a known endocrine disruptor, specifically of the thyroid.

The thyroid of the mother regulates a gene called Sonic Hedge Hog(yes that's real) in fetal development.

SHH gene is responsible for symmetry(left/right and fore/aft), facial development, the formation of teeth, and sexual dymorphism.

In deer born in areas treated with pesticides we see several malformations, asymmetrical antlers, testicular abnormalities, and under/over bites. These malformations all have roots in thyroid and endocrine disruption.

This case is very extreme, and most certainly rooted in a SHH(epigenticlly driven, not hereditary) mutation/translocation. This happens the same way as two headed fish and calves. SHH gene is a signaling gene, regulated by thyroid hormones. If you mess with the thyroid, you mess with SHH. Disruptions in the thyroid will cause SHH mutations and cause things like under bites that we see in deer. These are definitive signs of fetal hypothyroidsim. In the case of this lion it is probably a translocation of SHH signaling, caused by disrupted thyroid signalling. This is also the underlying mechanism behind polydactylism(extra fingers or toes). You can see this kind of thing play out in antler development, as it is the same underlying genetic expression.

You can read more here: www.westernwildlifeecology.org

#22 ·
Sorry lonetree, my post was tonge in cheek.
I know there is many chemicals that are at fault.
In my business we sell many pesticides, herbicides, rodenticides, etc.
So I know a bit about them. We do not umbrella them all together.
Each one has its own "job" and makeup. Along with side effects and risks.
Most people don't realize how important it is to use them correctly and safely.

The biggest problem I hear and see is:
If 2 Oz per gallon is right, then 5 or 6 Oz per gallon is better.

Boils down to, to every action there is a reaction.

#24 ·
Sorry lonetree, my post was tonge in cheek.
I know there is many chemicals that are at fault.
In my business we sell many pesticides, herbicides, rodenticides, etc.
So I know a bit about them. We do not umbrella them all together.
Each one has its own "job" and makeup. Along with side effects and risks.
Most people don't realize how important it is to use them correctly and safely.

The biggest problem I hear and see is:
If 2 Oz per gallon is right, then 5 or 6 Oz per gallon is better.

Boils down to, to every action there is a reaction.
Scientific nomanclature lumps them all under one umbrella term, pesticide, which is generic. But yeah, I hear you on the rest.

#31 ·
Looks like it was eating another cougar and that cougar was trying to eat its way out:shock:

#34 ·
Wait.....I don't get i.....ohhhh myyyy:shock:

Now I have to watch how I say coug....uhh Mountain lion....

I remember a few years back I embarrassed my daughters by telling them that they couldn't wear thongs to school or church:shock:

I'm old enough where we used to have a gay time when we went shooting or hunting:shock: Not anymore:p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.