Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been hunting the Wasatch just a little bit (I'll really hit it hard in November) from the Ogden area to about Farmington. Just wondering if anyone is seeing any lions and if you think the recent snows have pushed any down. I haven't seen any yet, and hopefully won't, but I'm sure they are around. Thanks for any info and everyone be safe out there. Utbowhntr
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,222 Posts
There are a ton of Cougars from the point of the mountain southward. Most of the Wasatch front to the north are Utes. :rotfl:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,221 Posts
Not yet this year. Saw a bunch of tracks and we had a Tom spotted 5 or 6 times last year where I hunt. That's why I carry a harvest objective tag in me pocket. :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
elk22hunter said:
There are a ton of Cougars from the point of the mountain southward. Most of the Wasatch front to the north are Utes. :rotfl:
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,221 Posts
Are you saying everyone north of the point of the mountain is an idiot? That could offend some people. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All I wanted was a simple answer to a simple question, not some stupid monologue about the Utes and Cougars. I for one hate both teams and couldn't give a rat's ***!!! Come on guys, just give a simple answer and don't bring this other garbage into it. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,221 Posts
Treehugnhuntr said:
Not yet this year. Saw a bunch of tracks and we had a Tom spotted 5 or 6 times last year where I hunt. That's why I carry a harvest objective tag in me pocket. :wink:
??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry Tree, I appreciate your response, it was the others who got on the kick about the Utes and the "Breed 'em Young" Cougars that I didn't like. (I'm sure that offended someone) I'll stop now before I get myself in more trouble.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,222 Posts
utbowhntr said:
All I wanted was a simple answer to a simple question, not some stupid monologue about the Utes and Cougars. I for one hate both teams and couldn't give a rat's ***!!! Come on guys, just give a simple answer and don't bring this other garbage into it. Thanks.
Wow, some one is an angry elf. (Elf)

I would simply lighten up a bit. I will always go for the laugh first. Especially when a question like yours was asked.

The cougars are always there. They just make themselves more known as the snow comes and you can see the tracks. I hunted Lions for many years. They will not so much move up and down with the snow as you might think. They are on the front year round, eating anything they can.
I don't understand the jest of your question. Are you worried the lions will eat the deer that you are after in November? Are you worried that the lions will eat you? You wonder if anyone has been seeing any. Very few people will ever see a lion in the wild no matter how much they are in the wild unless they are in persuit of the lion and with dogs. Some have seen a few of them. They are very fortunate as lions make themselves very unlikely to be seen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,222 Posts
utbowhntr said:
Sorry Tree, I appreciate your response, it was the others who got on the kick about the Utes and the "Breed 'em Young" Cougars that I didn't like. (I'm sure that offended someone) I'll stop now before I get myself in more trouble.
I don't think that is fair to try and be funny with a line that every one knows already, and especially after making it known to all of us that you are not a jovial person. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
623 Posts
First of all, I did cut very fress tracks on the front in the recent snow storms, I always cut tracks on the front when snow is on the ground, I have always wonder how many times I have had a cougar watching me, especially in the wee hours of the dark mornings. I am looking out for moose a lot more than I have ever looked out for cougars. The numbers seem like they would swallow a portion of our deer herds on the front, but every year bigger and more deer seem to be in the same spots.

Now, into my normal mode of cougar humor, sept I can't think of anything funny to say that hasn't already been said.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
Strangest thing happened to me yesterday. I was on this forum and got done reading this post and decided to go out for the evening hunt. I went up lambs canyon pretty much just hiking and looking for any signs of elk. I abandoned the thought of seeing and elk so I was just tromping through the woods. I got to the top of the ridge I was hiking and came across a recently killed doe that was in the proccess of being eaten by something. It was kinda tucked away behind a big rock and some oak. I got close to it and examined it and then I heard a growl from the thick scrub oak. I am almost positive it was a cat. I left the scene in a hurry and it kept following me for about 100 yards. It hissed at me about 3 more times then it went away after I started yelling at it. I never did actually see it though.

Has anyone ever had this happen to them? Are lions usually like that or was it just because I walked right on top of its meal?

For the record. The cougars suck (except Brigham Young, I admire him.... how could anybody put up with 30+ wifes).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
623 Posts
Coydog, you mis typed, you said, I'm almost sure it was a cat. I think you meant to say, I crapped my pants. At least that is what I would have said had I been on a fresh kill and heard a growl.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry everyone. I have to apologize for getting my panties in a knot. It was just a bad day the other day and I was very irritable and I said a few things that I shouldn't have. Unfortunately I can't take the words back physically because they are already written down, but I take them back in spirit (if that makes any sense). By the way, I'm not much of a Ute or BYU fan, but I do like Porter Rockwell. (Maybe it should be called Porter Rockwell University Cougars...just joking) Anyway, I apologize, I am a very jovial person and I'm sorry to those that I offended. Thanks everyone for at least responding to my post. I appreciate it. Utbowhntr
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,222 Posts
I am not doubting your story but I have never heard a lion growl. I have seen them on many occasions open there mouth and do the motion of a growl like when you see them in the movies and they add the growl sound effect. I know they do make noise and all but I have been around a heck of a lot of them and just haven't heard one. It's more like a hissing sound. I did however find some kittens in a shed one day. While taking photo's of the kittens, I heard a thunderous purring sound. I know that doesn't make sense but the female would just sit off to the side watching us at about 12 feet and make a low girggle sound. It was an eary sound but not a growl. In your story, I just don't know what else would make the sound that you heard. Was there no snow? Did you see any tracks?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,222 Posts
utbowhntr said:
Sorry everyone. I have to apologize for getting my panties in a knot. It was just a bad day the other day and I was very irritable and I said a few things that I shouldn't have. Unfortunately I can't take the words back physically because they are already written down, but I take them back in spirit (if that makes any sense). By the way, I'm not much of a Ute or BYU fan, but I do like Porter Rockwell. (Maybe it should be called Porter Rockwell University Cougars...just joking) Anyway, I apologize, I am a very jovial person and I'm sorry to those that I offended. Thanks everyone for at least responding to my post. I appreciate it. Utbowhntr
I've had a bad day myself. No problem
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
elk22hunter said:
I am not doubting your story but I have never heard a lion growl. While taking photo's of the kittens, I heard a thunderous purring sound. I know that doesn't make sense but the female would just sit off to the side watching us at about 12 feet and make a low girggle sound. It was an eary sound but not a growl. In your story, I just don't know what else would make the sound that you heard. Was there no snow? Did you see any tracks?
Yeah thats what kind of sound it was. A Girggle. It just really had a deep throaty sound to it and growl came to my head first when I was writing this post. Sorry for the confusion on that. But as for tracks, I didnt notice anything. There wasn't any snow and it was really rocky terrain. Have you ever seen any cats up lambs canyon elk22? And have you ever had one follow you?
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top