Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You'll hear guys all the time telling you to shoot 'em(turkeys) in the head. Well, I am telling you to shooting right in the base of the neck. Here's why, you're probably shooting a tight choke gun which means your shot pattern is already small, and you're trying to hit a small target...their head. Secondly, you're probably scrunched down behind or under a tree in an awkward shooting position, or the darn Tom's coming in from behind...one on their favorite tricks...and when you pull up to shoot you don't get down on your stock the way you should, and yup, you shoot right over his head. Now had you been aiming for the base of his neck instead of his head...well, if you shoot a little high, guess what, you just shot him right in the head.
OK, you did what I suggested and that bird is right out in front of you floppin all over the place...don't just sit there high fiving your buddy, blabbering like a third grader, get out there fast and get a foot on his neck. Don't try and pick him up, he's liable to beat you silly with those wings. The most humane and quickest way to get a flopping turkey under control is to place your boot on his neck just below his head and press down firmly. He'll usually settle down and pass quickly and humanely by suffocation.
Good luck

·
Registered
692 Posts
You're right about those wings! My bird last year beat the crap out of me for 10 minutes while I stood there ringing his neck! (I did aim at the base of the neck, and rushed out to get him just like you and Darren had taught me though... never heard the boot tip though)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts