Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll preface with this...we didn't get any cow elk this trip. But we did have a fun weekend.

Heading for the hills, and ready for the pursuit; a pair of hounds.

Hope they found 'em!

A friend also had a doe tag...easily filled...

...but harder to get to the truck.

Bad luck on the way back to the motel...

And back at the motel...

Trend-setter. (Hey, we didn't know they had a hot-tub, and only one of us was prepared. _(O)_ )

The next day.

Heading for cover.

Wish we'd of found this herd of elk whose trail was wore clean through the snow.

Didn't make it.

But we'll be back.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
My son has a cow elk tag for the Vernal area and we're heading out in the morning to try and fill it. Don't have a clue where the elk might be but I do know it has been cold as hell out there.

Now Zim..let me tell you right now..get some real TRUCK tires on that rig, the ones that start with "LT". It is criminal how they put those "Suv" tires on even some of the smaller trucks now days. They are nothing more than passinger car tires with a couple more 32's of tread. Those things are NOT built for off road and will continue to fail when used anyplace other than street diggin!

Anyway, hope we have as much fun as it looks like you guys had.

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
I did NOT want/need to see you in your under britches. _/O -)O(-

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yeah warn us first, i am sure there are some sights on the web where that would be welcome, probably not this one. Ask CS he may give you the names of some of those sights! :D -~|- -~|- -()/- :rotfl: just kiddin CS

·
Premium Member
11,688 Posts
proutdoors said:
I did NOT want/need to see you in your under britches. _/O -)O(-
With that pic; I can see this thread getting moved to the gut pile.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Come on guys..... he could have posted up the shower pic..... -)O(- Just kidding Zim. Nice job on your hunt... too bad you guys didn't get into the elk. Sounds like you guys had a good time anyway.

Different topic..... Whats with the kid throwing his little sign in the picture.... did you smack him for that? Wendy's daughter does that crap all the time.... makes me want to give her a swift kick or something..... does that kid say "gangster" all the time too?? What is with the kids these days anyhow?? :?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I too was fortunate enough to draw that tag. It was an awesome hunt for only $25 my wife spotted our baldy and we had her cleaned and put away by noon. We actually had a herd of 8 cross the road right in front of us but we weren't completely sure we were in the area until they had vanished well into the foilage. It was awesome to see my wife get excited to see me shoot and she actually took the gutting and cleaning part pretty well for being 7 months along.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I think I'll add my story here as opposed to starting a new thread. Are you ready? Three tags, three cows in the freezer! :D Now for the story:

Two nephews and I had tags for the Ogden/South Cache are. They are cousins, one 12, the other about 28 years old. The 28 year old's dad went with us (my wife's bro). K.C and Chris are their names, respectively. Thjis was K.C's first big game hunt. We had been up before, but I had to leave early. They came across a bunch, and my bro-in-law killed one with his .44 mag pistol! Plus one coworker of Chris' got his. That was two weeks ago. Well, Chris and I went up on a snowmobile so we could get, hopefully, high above the elk, if there were any, and have a better vantage point, and hopefully get KC into some shooting. We planned right! That family have been dairy farmers and own about 175 acres in the area we were hunting, and we spotted about 45 elk right on thier property, on the south side of a hill. KC and his uncle were on the north side, and we called and let them know where the elk were. They were able to get close enough to get KC a couple shots. He did mortally wound one, but she didn't go down. She followed the rest of the herd up towards the mountain, and fairly close to where Chris and I were. Needless to say, Chris and I knocked down our two, and I finished off KC's for him. All three were very good cows, in the 600 pd. range! :D

I even took my camera so I could take some photos if we were successful! And guess what? It was soooo cold, about 6 degrees, that the camera froze up and wouldn't work! :evil: I was so bummed. I really wanted to get a picture of those three elk together with the boys, especially the 12 year old. That was his first big game animal! We spent the rest of the morning, into the afternoon, cleaning and skinning them. I showed the youngster how to clean and remove the legs properly, and then his other uncle and I skinned it for him. Then Chris and I skinned mine after I cleaned her. I had to talk to KC about the importance of learning how to take care of one's game. "If one is going to hunt, then he needs to learn how to take care of the animal after the kill. If your are not willing to do it, then you shouldn't hunt." He seemed to have the idea that everyone would do it for him. I hope he learns.

I spent the rest of the afternoon and night butchering mine and bagging and vaccum sealing it. After that and clean-up, it was 3:30 in the morning, and I was beat. I have to admit, that I slept until about 10:00 am, and then dosed for a while after that. My hands and arms are so danged stiff today, that I don't think I could play my guitar, even if I wanted to. I didn't weigh the meat, but I'm guessing in the 200 pounds range. I took in 50 pounds to Horlachers today to get ground into burger, so that gave me a basis to estimate from. I've got more than 50 pounds of steaks (46 packages) about 10 pounds of stew meat (7 packages), and at least 10-12 5 pound plus roasts. I also kept some liver, as I like liver and onions simmered in tomato juice. |-O-|

So, it's bragging time! I had seven tags to fill this year and I have filled six of the seven. The only one I did not fill was my muzzleloader buck deer, as I never had a shot. I saw a few bucks, but never in a situation to pull off on one. So, my freezers are full and I'm happy and get to go ice fishing in the morning We are going to try Hyrum dam. My friend went and checked it out today, and said the area we are going to is fine. There have been people fishing down by the spillbowl, but that is for another thread. I'll let everyone know in the fishing forum how we did tomorrow or Sunday. Going to see the Aggies beat up Oral Roberts tomorrow night, so I don't know if I'll have time to check out the forum.

Have a great New Year everyone! My wife and I will be kicking back, as my son asked if we would babysit our grandbaby. My wife consented. So Party Hardy for me, ya'll! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
340 Posts
That's awesome Dunn.... Congratulations!! Enjoy some of that nice meat for those of us who struck out this year....0 for 2... :evil:

Happy New Year to All !!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Sorry to hear about that Dave. :( But, I will! :D We have all been in your situation before, and sympathize as well as empythize. I have found though, that the more I put in for, the better chance I have of drawing something. You might want to look into Wyoming. They have some fairly inexpensive antlerless hunts, especially deer and pronghorn. Click on "Neighboring States" and it will get you to their website.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts