Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went up to East Canyon WMA hunting this morning, got in about a half a mile, seen a herd of about 15-20 Cow Elk, give or take 300 to 400 yards up to my left, seen 2 guys to my left on top of the hill and another guy on my right. So I was watching this herd moving around in different directions, when all of a sudden, I had them in my sight, so I layed off a couple of shots too the lead cow elk, she stopped was wandering what the hell was going on, then I layed off another shot, and Bam, she was down. By the way, I am shooting a 300 Ultra Mag, which was no problem reaching her. So, me and my girlfriend started heading up to the top of this knoll and when all of a sudden, when we got there, their was three guys already heading right for her, so we held our position and watched to see what they were doing, and all be damed, they went right for her and started taking care of business like they were the ones who shot her. A little disappointed I was, but what do ya do, with three of them and one of me, it wasn't worth it, so we turned around and went back down. I've got a few more weeks, just waiting for the next storm to roll in, been up there a couple of times and it seems, the more snow we get, the lower they come down. :| :| :|

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Al, that's exactially what I was thinking, believe me I was a little P.O., by the way the guy who was up the hill, to the right of me, knew I had dropped her, he too was on his way up their to claim a cow he had shot, and when he got up to those guys, he gave them a piece of his mind, I could hear them, they were only about 100 yards up from us. Kudos too him. There were about 6 or 7 cows taken right there this morning, what a excellent hunt, couldn't ask for anything better then that, besides coming home with one. Well get her done, shortly. Have a Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
290 Posts
That's to bad. It's not worth confrontation. It look's like you've found out where there at. Good luck!! I'm sure you'll get your's soon.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hate to hear stories like that, it sucks! I had that happen to me this year with my deer. Hands down the best buck I have ever shot and some dudes picked him up. It just aint cool. But on the flip side you get to hunt again. Good luck to ya and Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
108 Posts
With more than three times the tages issued for this hunt this year when compared to last year (50 to over 170) it is a wonder you didn't get shot. I drug my elk out Saturday morning and the place was an absolute zoo. Good job on taking the high road.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I never could figure this out. I too have had an animal taken by someone who never fired their weapon. How do people actually justify this to themselves. Also why would someone want to tag an animal they did not shoot. I want to get my own animal not someone elses kill. People that do this type of thing just amaze me. :evil:

·
Registered
251 Posts
FWIW, My friend and brother and his friend. were in there and killed their two cows last Saturday as well. They spoke of a group of three guys on horses that were shooting at the elk from one ridge to the other at over 675 yards (per my Leica LRF1200). They also put down a couple. They also mentioned a couple of people down near the main trail also shooting up at the elk. This shooter was over 600 yards from my brother and the elk were still another 300 yards up the hill from them. They said that the two down on the main trail didn't even come up into the canyon to see if they hit anything and thought it was weird.

I don't mean to draw any conclusions, but I do know that my buddy killed his elk without any question and the other they killed was in the bowl where noone else could even see it. So... I wonder if it was the guys on the horses that you had your encounter with. Was that you shooting from the bottom of the canyon?

Having hunted that area a lot, I have been shocked at how far some of those ridges are from one another. It wasn't until I started carrying my Leica that I realized why my Bushnell 800 wouldn't read the other ridge, it looked so much closer. Anyway, I hope that you were one more ridge up the canyon and that you weren't the one shooting at elk on the move at 800+ yards when you say they were only 300-400 yards away.

My buddy and brother did say that there was a barrage of shooting that morning. Unfortunately, I know that they shot too many times as well. They teaze me because I shoot so much. I also killed three animals this year with three bullets. They each shot more than that at one animal.

Anyway, keep at it, the elk are still in there.

Firehawk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey, firehawk let me tell you, there was a total of 8 people on that hill that morning and not one of them had horses, we started at these elk the first canyon on the left walking up the trail and we did hit one and went to the top of the ridge, to go after the one I dropped, these guys saw us down from them, cause we sat there for about 30 minutes, deciding what the hell to do, with a little P.O. that I was and just me and my girlfriend and three of them walking right up to my elk, I would like to know what the hell you would do in that sitution? There were 4 horse back rider headed farther up the trail towards the juniper and three more showed up right when we were leaving, those were the only horse up there, while we were there. That's ok, I'll get mine withing a couple of days, she'll be waiting for me in the parking lot. :) :) :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ya, If my conclusions are right, I'm either going to get me a cow elk or a firehawk if he keep's this **** up!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
730 Posts
at least you get a second chance...I had a tag for a CWMU down by price and I got 1 day to hunt...no more...I had myself, my daughter, my wife, and my Dad...all in 1 day...not very productive time either...a terrible storm moved in...so we got about 4 hrs of hunting time in...oh well..

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey, wdycle did ya do on your hunt @ deseret thursday? I heard your partner and crime is down with the flu, my young lady ran into his wife and daughter down at the mall today, boy they were sure glad to be out of the house with him as sick as they say he is, hope he gets better. -)O(- -)O(- -)O(-

·
Registered
724 Posts
wapiti67 said:
at least you get a second chance...I had a tag for a CWMU down by price and I got 1 day to hunt...no more...I had myself, my daughter, my wife, and my Dad...all in 1 day...not very productive time either...a terrible storm moved in...so we got about 4 hrs of hunting time in...oh well..
That's why I don't do those hunts.
what a rip off! -#&#*!-

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Huntnbum, nothing personnel, just being a smart A**. At least it gets me out of the house, you know as they say, a bad day's huntin is better than a good day at home. Happy New Year. :) :) :)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts