Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a Nov-Dec cow tag and was able to get out between Christmas and New Year's and get it done. I decided to take my 8 year old son with me for his first time out hunting and he was an absolute trooper out there... I was super impressed with how he handled everything.

A full write up is on my blog if interested: http://utahbiggameodds.blogspot.com/2016/01/2015-antlerless-elk-our-elk.html

Attachments

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Congrats on the success. I've done a couple late season cow hunts and they just don't do it for me. Something about trudging around in knee deep snow in the dead of winter in search of elk just isn't as fun as hunting them in August/September/October for me.

·
Administrator
21,355 Posts
Great stuff, thanks for posting.

That's a cool web site you have there.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thanks for posting great hunt

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
why in the world any one would want to kill a cow is beyond me.

·
JMgardner
418 Posts
Cow elk=food and fun
Buck deer= food and fun
Bull elk = food and fun
Doe deer= food and fun.
If you choose not to kill antler less, that's your prerogative but any non varmint hunt should likely fill both purposes in my book.

That being said, great write up in the blog! I know my dad hated how slow of a walker I was when I was younger, but I'm thankful he took me anytime he went and I wasn't in school! Props to your son for being a champ. Great work and looks like a blast!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Great job Derek.....do tell the details on the gun, ammo, shot. Some of us weirdos like that stuff.------SS
So let's geek out together...
The gun: my dad's Remington 700 in .30-06 (he told me to just keep it tonight, so it's going in the safe)
The ammo: This load was my first attempt at handloading a hunting round. I posted the load workup I went through way back in the http://utahwildlife.net/forum/74-reloading-recipes/92865-30-06-a.html thread. It's a 180gr Hornady Interlock, 59.5gr H4831, Remington 9 1/2 primers, brass trimmed to 2.480", and COAL of 3.330". Two hundred yard groups were right about 1". Velocity comes in at about 2800fps, I haven't chronographed it yet but hope to someday.

The shot: the calf was bedded broadside at 335 yards. My scope is zeroed at 200 yards, so I used a 12" holdover (it's about a 9" drop at 300 from experience)... BANG... she stood... BANG... and expired after a short run through some thick, nasty crap into the bottom of the adjacent canyon.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Looks tender Derek. The meat will be awesome, and the memories even better!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Congrats on the success. I've done a couple late season cow hunts and they just don't do it for me. Something about trudging around in knee deep snow in the dead of winter in search of elk just isn't as fun as hunting them in August/September/October for me.
This cow tag was for the same unit as my general muzzleloader deer tag, I chased elk during the rut this year in September. I stood right next to my friend as he filled his antlerless control tag on the opening day of said muzzleloader deer hunt. I also hunted the same area on an Any Bull muzzleloader tag so I chased them in October. I went after Thanksgiving so I hunted in November. And I finally got it done right at the end of the season in December.
So I chased elk every month for four months, pretty sweet deal if you ask me! I got to enjoy the mountains across a long stretch of time from scouting in the summer, the heat of the rut (and weather) in September, the crispness of late fall in October, the earliest breath of winter in November, and in December when Old Man Winter has a firm grasp on the high country.

I enjoy the nuances of each of the seasons as each provided it's own challenges.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Amen Derek. Im not a bowhunter so whenever I'm lucky enough to draw a late season cow tag its pure awesomeness. I'm big game hunting for 4 months that year!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts