Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4,085 Posts
Sorry to hear about your luck. That's tough.

That's definitely big country over there. I've always been curious about hunting that general area, especially the Dolores Triangle. I've seen elk moving through that entire region Oct-Nov and then again in March. Just never spent time there in December and January. The logistics for the region are a legit challenge, even once you figure out initial road access.

Now you've got me thinking about that place again, though I'm a long way from being confident enough with my hunting skill to pull it off.

· Registered
4,085 Posts
It wasn't a matter of finding elk higher. It was getting through that area so that I could drop down into lower country. The only ways in were going through canyons or over passes that went higher before dropping to lower country that was actually within the unit I could hunt. Obviously, the elk would not be higher if there is that amount of snow. I was simply trying to access my unit and drop into lower country. It's a small unit (more like a sub-unit of the larger La Sal Mtn unit) with limited roads going into it.
And sadly, at least when I lived in the region, it's difficult to get a good read and update on travel there. Compared to the rest of the area many of those roads only see a limited amount of travel, especially this time of the year.

There is some wild, underused country north of Hwy 90 (La Sal & Paradox) & South of the CO River, east of the La Sals and West of Hwy 141 (and eventually Hwy 50, though really Glade Park). You've got me getting maps and out and reminiscing about the old days when I could disappear with my truck for 1-2 weeks at a time. I'm really bummed I didn't explore that area around the Dolores more. Everytime we float by the confluence we take a sip of whiskey for the "Lady of Sorrows".

Building Fixture Window House Event

1 - 3 of 3 Posts