Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
11,456 Posts
I feel for you on the cow collision, ouch. That can go badly for occupants.

For being stuck: Hilift jack + lift-mate. Get out of so many things easily. Gotta have the lift-mate though. Lift directly on the tire, fill in hole, move to other side repeat. The way it rests against the tire, helps keep the base from slipping. You can use straps or whatever around the rim spokes, but the jack floats more and can slip easier.

-DallanC

· Registered
11,456 Posts
High Lift jacks can be one of two things. A very helpful tool or very damaging. You need to pay real good attention to them when using them to keep them from putting you into the hospital.
They are very dangerous... but at times, its still a great tool if you are careful. We ran into a dodge one morning going in ice fishing. The dodge was maybe 5 miles in when they broke through the iced up snow and dropped onto the frame. They were trying to dig it out, but the ice was pretty thick to break up with a shovel, plus no room to really get under it to try and get some clearance on the rails / axles. We hooked up all our ATVs in a line and they tried to winch off us, it was futile. That was one place the ability to jack up one tire from outside the vehicle would have saved their day. They'd been there 2 hours when we came along.

-DallanC

· Registered
11,456 Posts
We were stuck so bad he just left Blazer in neutral, but when Blazer was up high enough, it rolled back just enough for lift foot to slide out, but lift jaw stayed ‘hooked’ to lip of bumper.
Top of High Lifted fulcrumed back and through the grill and radiator splitting them both down the middle almost to centerline.
Now we were REALLY stuck.
LOL... yea thats another reason I like the Lift mate, the opposite tire is still firmly planted on the ground. which helps things from sliding around.

My jack story... long before I knew about the lift mate I sunk my truck in some deep mud in an old retention pond. Front-end was pointed out, rear still in the mud/water. I put down a block of wood, jack foot in the center, jack itself going into the hitch receiver hole. Started lifting it up... went WAY high to get the springs to finally start pulling up on the axle. Well... not paying attention, the wood started to get pushed down into the mud... and not evenly. At some point the wood rolled in the soft mud, jack slipped off and with all that weight and jacked nearly as far as it would go, the truck pile drove that jack's nearly entire length down into the mud.

I hiked down to town, got a friend to drive me home, grabbed my dads 4x4 tractor, drove to town, picked up my friend, drove back up the mountain, pulled out the truck, then backed into the mud where the truck was, had to use the hydraulic lift and a chain to pull the jack back out. Then drove the tractor back home with my friend driving my truck.

Ah, high school days... lol

-DallanC

1 - 7 of 7 Posts