Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Administrator
11,597 Posts
With that much snow a set of chains is mandatory. Not the cheesy cable chains but good solid ones with large links. They are hell on radial tires with light sidewalls but they will get you into areas that you might not want to be in. I have a set for all 4 tires for my diesel and with them on I haven't been stopped even with 24"+ of snow. You just put the truck into low gear and go.

Too bad on the hunt, those problems that you experienced are some of the reasons that I really don't think of a late season elk hunt. Where I am at there is a late season hunt but you need to be ready at the correct time as the elk migrate off of private through BLM and then back onto some private.

· Administrator
11,597 Posts
I figured that was it. And yeah, if you were dealing with that at only 6k feet, you would have had had drifts at the top of the canyon that no chains in the world would've let your truck get through. Assuming you didn't get royally fu...dged on the switchbacks.
A person needs some common sense, I know that it s a very rare trait nowadays.

If you are getting into more than a couple feet of snow that has been there for a while the odds of finding elk higher are very slim.

· Administrator
11,597 Posts
I'm more of the school you use chains till you have to use the High lift jack.
I can say after driving hundreds of miles with chains on that I have never been stuck with them on my truck. Back during the deer hunt in 96 it snowed and dumped close to 3' of the white stuff up on the Manti where I was hunting. We came up Wildcat Canyon and hit the Muddy. I decided to put the chains on when I saw a wind blown spot. I put the chains on all 4 tires and continued up the Muddy towards the 12 Mile Flat campground. Some hunters had hiked down the hill and they couldn't believe what they saw as I was pushing snow with my front bumper. I gave a couple of them a ride back up the hill to where they were parked. Then there were a few years hunting that area that I put the chains on once I left pavement and didn't take them off until I hit pavement again. We always got our deer after everyone bailed out of the area.

Now for the high lift jack story. My first experience was when I got stuck up on West Mountain when I slid down into the cable guardrail that they had with a huge staple in the gap between the door and body. Some kind folks showed up and pulled out there high lift jack. We jacked up the front end of my truck and just pushed it sideways off of the guardrail until I had enough clearance to back down the hill. Now a friend had a high lift that he was using and as they sometimes do the pipe handle bucked on him. He still has the scar on his forehead from that experience.

· Administrator
11,597 Posts
If my math is right, I have 9 sets of tire chains right now. Bought my most recent set in Nov as the weather started turning cold.

-DallanC
Between the two of us we could make a good living off of chains.

I have 2 sets for some 35" wheels and a dozen sets for 31" wheels along with a number of sets for smaller truck wheels

Add to that 4 high lift Jack's and a 8,000 lb Warn winch.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts