Utah Wildlife Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

· Registered
1,028 Posts
Yeah. I was able to hit the brakes enough and swerve enough that the impact didn't end up setting off the airbags and neither myself or my son were injured at all. We felt very fortunate. It could have been so much worse.

I have been meaning to get a highlift jack for quite a while and just never have. This will be the catalyst to make that happen for sure. And thanks for the tip on the lift mate.
Still be very careful with that Liftmate.
If the truck slides off the ‘mound’ you just built under the opposing tire, the very top of your high lift jack will can opener right through your upper wheel well steel.

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
A person needs some common sense, I know that it s a very rare trait nowadays.

If you are getting into more than a couple feet of snow that has been there for a while the odds of finding elk higher are very slim.
It wasn't a matter of finding elk higher. It was getting through that area so that I could drop down into lower country. The only ways in were going through canyons or over passes that went higher before dropping to lower country that was actually within the unit I could hunt. Obviously, the elk would not be higher if there is that amount of snow. I was simply trying to access my unit and drop into lower country. It's a small unit (more like a sub-unit of the larger La Sal Mtn unit) with limited roads going into it.

· Registered
1,546 Posts
If easy cow elk hunts are a thing you want then look at other states draws. They usually take just a few points to draw but high success easy hunts are there for the taking. Like WY and AZ have cow hunts where you are hunting the same bull units that take a lifetime of points to get antlers, but the cow tag can be had with a handful of points and good hunting dates. Something to think about if that's your goal. A guy could have a couple cows each year in the freezer if he only cares about meat and not antlers.

· Registered
11,449 Posts
High Lift jacks can be one of two things. A very helpful tool or very damaging. You need to pay real good attention to them when using them to keep them from putting you into the hospital.
They are very dangerous... but at times, its still a great tool if you are careful. We ran into a dodge one morning going in ice fishing. The dodge was maybe 5 miles in when they broke through the iced up snow and dropped onto the frame. They were trying to dig it out, but the ice was pretty thick to break up with a shovel, plus no room to really get under it to try and get some clearance on the rails / axles. We hooked up all our ATVs in a line and they tried to winch off us, it was futile. That was one place the ability to jack up one tire from outside the vehicle would have saved their day. They'd been there 2 hours when we came along.

-DallanC

· Registered
2,657 Posts
I'm just REALLY glad l got my cow early October this year, with all the snow.
We just snowmobiled from Midway to Brian Head. Are having pizza and a beverage at the pizza joint (great pizza), and will ride back over.
The snow level is impressive for sure. And it's a great ride on a groomed trail for an old man like me. That's the actual Brian Head in the pic.

It's a very nice day !!
Snowmobile Sky Snow Vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
If easy cow elk hunts are a thing you want then look at other states draws. They usually take just a few points to draw but high success easy hunts are there for the taking. Like WY and AZ have cow hunts where you are hunting the same bull units that take a lifetime of points to get antlers, but the cow tag can be had with a handful of points and good hunting dates. Something to think about if that's your goal. A guy could have a couple cows each year in the freezer if he only cares about meat and not antlers.
Yeah. I've got a contact in WY that has invited me for a cow in the future. It's not that I am specifically looking for an easy hunt. I'm willing to work for it. I'm just at a point in my life where I want to hunt as much and as often as my schedule and wallet allow. I got into the western hunting thing late in life. My first western hunt happened when I was 37. I'm now almost 40. Pretty late in the game to learn a whole new style of hunting compared to the Texas hunts I grew up doing. But, I want to build as much knowledge and experience as possible. My oldest son is hunting now and both of my boys will be going after turkeys this spring. I want to be able to know how to do all of this so that I can teach them and put them into the best situations. Experiences like this, even if it sucked, are learning experiences and I will know what NOT to do when I have them in tow.

· Registered
4,074 Posts
It wasn't a matter of finding elk higher. It was getting through that area so that I could drop down into lower country. The only ways in were going through canyons or over passes that went higher before dropping to lower country that was actually within the unit I could hunt. Obviously, the elk would not be higher if there is that amount of snow. I was simply trying to access my unit and drop into lower country. It's a small unit (more like a sub-unit of the larger La Sal Mtn unit) with limited roads going into it.
And sadly, at least when I lived in the region, it's difficult to get a good read and update on travel there. Compared to the rest of the area many of those roads only see a limited amount of travel, especially this time of the year.

There is some wild, underused country north of Hwy 90 (La Sal & Paradox) & South of the CO River, east of the La Sals and West of Hwy 141 (and eventually Hwy 50, though really Glade Park). You've got me getting maps and out and reminiscing about the old days when I could disappear with my truck for 1-2 weeks at a time. I'm really bummed I didn't explore that area around the Dolores more. Everytime we float by the confluence we take a sip of whiskey for the "Lady of Sorrows".

Building Fixture Window House Event

· Registered
104 Posts
I smoked a cow with my truck once. Came out of nowhere at 2 in the morning while I was headed duck hunting. Happened so fast I thought I had hit a horse. I feel your pain, it sucks. You got yours back quick! I smashed mine mid November and I didn’t get it back until next may. 18k in damages. Should have totaled it out, but they didn’t.
Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Military camouflage Camouflage Hat Marines Helmet

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

· Registered
1,028 Posts
They are very dangerous... but at times, its still a great tool if you are careful. We ran into a dodge one morning going in ice fishing. The dodge was maybe 5 miles in when they broke through the iced up snow and dropped onto the frame. They were trying to dig it out, but the ice was pretty thick to break up with a shovel, plus no room to really get under it to try and get some clearance on the rails / axles. We hooked up all our ATVs in a line and they tried to winch off us, it was futile. That was one place the ability to jack up one tire from outside the vehicle would have saved their day. They'd been there 2 hours when we came along.

-DallanC
They are extremely handy, can even be used horizontally (come-a-long style) for stretching fence in a pinch.
In high school my buddy had a 1970 Blazer with removable top we used to goof off in.
Got stuck real bad out in the Cedar Fort sinks while duck hunting ( yes, I am that old).
Had idea to jack up front end to jam sagebrush under front wheels, so out came the High Lift and centered on front bumper.
We were stuck so bad he just left Blazer in neutral, but when Blazer was up high enough, it rolled back just enough for lift foot to slide out, but lift jaw stayed ‘hooked’ to lip of bumper.
Top of High Lifted fulcrumed back and through the grill and radiator splitting them both down the middle almost to centerline.
Now we were REALLY stuck.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts