Utah Wildlife Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

· Registered
11,449 Posts
We were stuck so bad he just left Blazer in neutral, but when Blazer was up high enough, it rolled back just enough for lift foot to slide out, but lift jaw stayed ‘hooked’ to lip of bumper.
Top of High Lifted fulcrumed back and through the grill and radiator splitting them both down the middle almost to centerline.
Now we were REALLY stuck.
LOL... yea thats another reason I like the Lift mate, the opposite tire is still firmly planted on the ground. which helps things from sliding around.

My jack story... long before I knew about the lift mate I sunk my truck in some deep mud in an old retention pond. Front-end was pointed out, rear still in the mud/water. I put down a block of wood, jack foot in the center, jack itself going into the hitch receiver hole. Started lifting it up... went WAY high to get the springs to finally start pulling up on the axle. Well... not paying attention, the wood started to get pushed down into the mud... and not evenly. At some point the wood rolled in the soft mud, jack slipped off and with all that weight and jacked nearly as far as it would go, the truck pile drove that jack's nearly entire length down into the mud.

I hiked down to town, got a friend to drive me home, grabbed my dads 4x4 tractor, drove to town, picked up my friend, drove back up the mountain, pulled out the truck, then backed into the mud where the truck was, had to use the hydraulic lift and a chain to pull the jack back out. Then drove the tractor back home with my friend driving my truck.

Ah, high school days... lol

-DallanC

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I smoked a cow with my truck once. Came out of nowhere at 2 in the morning while I was headed duck hunting. Happened so fast I thought I had hit a horse. I feel your pain, it sucks. You got yours back quick! I smashed mine mid November and I didn’t get it back until next may. 18k in damages. Should have totaled it out, but they didn’t.
View attachment 155313
View attachment 155314
View attachment 155315
Well, at least you got vengeance on the cow that walked out in front of you. I hit the cow in the hind rump area. It literally fell down, jumped up and trotted off. The cattle owner came out and I talked to him a while and he went and checked and the [email protected] thing was just fine walking around and eating.

· Administrator
11,554 Posts
I'm more of the school you use chains till you have to use the High lift jack.
I can say after driving hundreds of miles with chains on that I have never been stuck with them on my truck. Back during the deer hunt in 96 it snowed and dumped close to 3' of the white stuff up on the Manti where I was hunting. We came up Wildcat Canyon and hit the Muddy. I decided to put the chains on when I saw a wind blown spot. I put the chains on all 4 tires and continued up the Muddy towards the 12 Mile Flat campground. Some hunters had hiked down the hill and they couldn't believe what they saw as I was pushing snow with my front bumper. I gave a couple of them a ride back up the hill to where they were parked. Then there were a few years hunting that area that I put the chains on once I left pavement and didn't take them off until I hit pavement again. We always got our deer after everyone bailed out of the area.

Now for the high lift jack story. My first experience was when I got stuck up on West Mountain when I slid down into the cable guardrail that they had with a huge staple in the gap between the door and body. Some kind folks showed up and pulled out there high lift jack. We jacked up the front end of my truck and just pushed it sideways off of the guardrail until I had enough clearance to back down the hill. Now a friend had a high lift that he was using and as they sometimes do the pipe handle bucked on him. He still has the scar on his forehead from that experience.

· Registered
3,797 Posts
There was a time when I may have spent more time getting going than hunting even with chains. We were slowed down but not stopped. I'm not going to go there anymore.
I can positively say that when the snow gets deep enough and dense enough all chains will do is dig you deeper in the hole. Slowly testing may save you some work.

As to the OP that is some high country up there. Glad you didn't have more problems.

· Administrator
11,554 Posts
If my math is right, I have 9 sets of tire chains right now. Bought my most recent set in Nov as the weather started turning cold.

-DallanC
Between the two of us we could make a good living off of chains.

I have 2 sets for some 35" wheels and a dozen sets for 31" wheels along with a number of sets for smaller truck wheels

Add to that 4 high lift Jack's and a 8,000 lb Warn winch.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
3,697 Posts
I'm going out tomorrow to see if I can get my cow tag filled. Only have a couple of weeks left
Well, I did make it out Saturday and Monday mornings, finally found cow elk both days but Saturday I saw 2 cows and 2 calves with one spike and one 6 point bull but they were 1800 yards away in deep snow and a couple of small canyons.
Monday I did catch a herd of about 30 cows and calves with one 6 point bull, closest I got was 565 yards, I need Johnnycake that can hike through all that snow. I decided a cow wasn't worth all the work of trudging through the snow.

But it was fun seeing them and driving through the winter wonderland.
Sky Snow Automotive tire Vehicle Hood
Tire Wheel Snow Vehicle Car
Tire Wheel Snow Vehicle Car

· Premium Member
3,697 Posts
Don't know why the second pic doubled. And yes still seeing big bulls both days. With the heard of 30 cows I have seen almost more cows than bulls on this years hunts.

Reactions: colorcountrygunner

· Premium Member
3,697 Posts
bowgy, we're not mad. We're just very disappointed.
Yeah..... me too, but putting one of them in the scope I thought if she dropped right there it wouldn't be too bad getting her to the truck, but if she took off for a few hundred yards or more I didn't want to trail her in the snow. I thought it would be better to find one a littler closer or make tag soup.

I have till the 31st.

Reactions: jbseamus83
41 - 55 of 55 Posts