Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so just for clarification.... Today they raised the southwest desert cow tags by 150, and the Monroe, Dutton, Fishlake plateu hunt by 200 making it 350 instead of 150 correct? And then raised anterless pronghorn by 200? From DWR recommendations.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
looks like those who just want to get out and hunt, will get to do so a little more.

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
looks like those who just want to get out and hunt, will get to do so a little more.
Were all these tags a good thing though ? Or just the results of whiney cattlemen? A lot of those additional cows are going to come off Monroe which is and has always been under objective. I hate to see us keep dropping the population, but I doubt this will destroy the herd. I think in years to come we need to watch this and not let it get out of hand. I really don't like the 200 additional doe pronghorn tags when tere was already 400 and they plan on moving a couple hundred more.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
I don't know much about the pronghorn stuff. I honestly don't know about the true elk numbers, they could be way over or in some cases in bad shape. But what I saw today was an absolute disorganized mess. The division was ill-prepared, unsure of the numbers they actually had and then you had motions passed at whim and they were even unsure of what exactly there was. and this is how we manage wildlife. Pretty pathetic.

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know much about the pronghorn stuff. I honestly don't know about the true elk numbers, they could be way over or in some cases in bad shape. But what I saw today was an absolute disorganized mess. The division was ill-prepared, unsure of the numbers they actually had and then you had motions passed at whim and they were even unsure of what exactly there was. and this is how we manage wildlife. Pretty pathetic.
I agree, I could have answered many of their numbers questions without having to dig for it.

At 2100 antelope on the Plateu your now giving 600 for tags at 60% success rates along with around 200 buck tags and removal of around 200 transplant. The objective is 1700. I feel you could have went with the divisions recommendations and been better off.

As for the elk Monroe was at 1400 last year and 1350 this year, the objective is 1800, they added 200 tags between 4 units 55% of which success is taken off the Monroe with those tags. So a falling population, under objective and we end up with more tags. Keep in mind these tags run almost 3 months to the end of January and have an almost 90% success rate. Now instead of 150 of them you have 350 of them.

All today told me was we better be ready for a fight on the new elk plan and we better be prepared to stand up for our elk numbers and not let them be cut.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts